New setup won't boot.

jpopa

Limp Gawd
I'm having some issues getting my new Intel setup working. I've always been an AMD/ATI fan, and I figured I'd try out a Intel/Nvidia rig. What I have in the case is as follows:

550w thermaltake psu
Abit AW8D LGA775 Mobo
Pentium 805 D
OCZ DDR2 2x1gig PC2 6400

I think the issue has something to do with the memory(cause the mobo error codes say so) but I don't know what the problem really is. I'm used to my AMD machines clocking down the RAM to fit whatever the FSB is, so I figured I would be fine with this. Is that not the case? If not it's fine, I can pick up other RAM, I just wanted other opinions. Thanks

can you post a ltitle bit more information. Just say everything you've tried and what happened.

Try some lower end memory, IT might be clocked to high for your mobo to handle.

reset the bios and bring the memory frquency down . OCZ are fast chips and many boards do have problems , i have had my fair share. Set it at 570mhz , you can work up after that , asus boards are not very good with OCZ but you can download the settins off there website.

That's the problem, I can't POST. I would loooove to turn the speeds down but I can't. I also don't have any spare ddr2, so it looks like I might have to buy some cheap shit just to boot it, set the OC stuff I want, and then put the OCZ ram in.

Try taking out a stick of RAM and see if it boots up. If you did something to it such as raising FSB too high then reset the cmos either using a jumper or popping out the battery for a few seconds.

Here's the problem.... It... WONT... POST. The error code is memory related, but not specific. I'm guessing that it's an incompatibility between the ram and the CPU's FSB. I will figure it out and report here.

Have you tried running one stick at a time? Give that a shot. If both still don't work, I would tend to suspect the mobo, not the memory...

jpopa - I have the same board and memory as you and encountered the same problem. Never found a fix for it, save using different RAM. In my case, the Abit board also complains about my slower OCZ 5400, but boots anyway.

Coincidently, my Asus P5LD2-Deluxe doesn't like the faster OCZ memory, either; but, it gets farther along than the Abit board does.

the pro memories have to be set, another thing i noticed with the abit board is that sometimes when you are trying too hard then give it a rest cos the board gets very hot and the bios will not let you go any further, but the best thing about the abit board is the clear CMOS jumper , take the batery and set the jumpers for two minutes and give it another try .

If not take it back to the place you bought it from and ask them to update it with the latest bios , hopefully that will sort it out.

grabbed an asus board and had zero problems. I was tempted to get some slower ram and do it that way, but i didn't want to have a stick of ddr2 laying around that i wasn't going to use. anyway, the abit is on its way back to the egg, look for it in the refurb area :p

Back