New setup including e4300

Rhitick

Weaksauce
Hey, im looking to finally upgrade my A64 Athlon 3200+ with:

E4300
MSI P35 Platinum
Some decent ram that I havent chosen yet.

My main question is...do I need a specific stepping of 4300 to get good OCing or are they all very good overclockers.

Reasoning behind the MSI board is that they seem to be very good overclockers (that model anyway)

Yes, there are better steppings like a L640A45X, which is one of the earliest ones unfortunately. Latter ones is crap.

I almost went with the e4300 / e4400. Instead, I went with the e6420. BOY AM I GLAD I DID. You are going to spend just a little more but you will thank yourself for spending the little extra for a better processor. Without ANY effort, I am at 3.2ghz. I just installed it all yesterday. With some minor tweaking, 3.4ghz - 3.6ghz is VERY do'able.

I almost went with the e4300 / e4400. Instead, I went with the e6420. BOY AM I GLAD I DID. You are going to spend just a little more but you will thank yourself for spending the little extra for a better processor. Without ANY effort, I am at 3.2ghz. I just installed it all yesterday. With some minor tweaking, 3.4ghz - 3.6ghz is VERY do'able.

I have to agree with that statement. I got my E4300 to 3.15GHz with some minor tweaking and was pretty happy with that (it simply won't go higher). Then my co-worker buys an E6420 and gets it to 3.2GHz with 1.35v. Guy had never even overclocked before. Can you say easy?

Back