New Server Build - Storage and VMs

eptesicus

n00b
1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
This will be my primary NAS server (36+ TB) as well as my virtual host. I plan on running 3-4 VMs with this.

2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$800 + the cost of the storage HDDs

3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
Covington, KY, USA

4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Mobo
CPU
RAM
SSD
RAID/HBA Controller

5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Supermicro SC846E16-R1200B 24-bay 4U chassis w/ dual-1200W PSU

6) Will you be overclocking?
Not likely

7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
NA

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within the next couple weeks

9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
USB 3.0
SATA 6Gbps
VGA/DVI
4-Pin PWM Fan Headers

10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If so, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
Windows Server 2012 R2

My plan is to build a new server as my NAS and virtual host, hosting 3-4 VMs, including a DC, services (web, content streaming, mail, etc.) server, a torrent server, and plenty of space for a test VM or another VM down the road. I currently run a similar system now, with a consumer-grade mobo, i5, and 16 GB of RAM, which can be found HERE. My goal is to use my current server as my backup server, since I have no way of backing up, currently. Right now, I have about 28TB in my server, but will be adding drives to make be able to run backups from my other machines in the house.

What I want in my new server, is to use another Supermicro SC846E16-R1200B chassis (getting refurbished from eBay again) to house everything, probably get another used IBM M5015 RAID controller (or something comparable), and run workstation or server-grade components this time. I'm not afraid to go the used/refurbished route. I'm looking for suggestions on components. I will be transferring my SSDs (OS and VM SSD connected to the mobo, not the controller) from my current server to this new one, but will need another SSD for my current (backup) server.

I have never built a server before, using server-grade components, so I'm not sure where to start with mobos and CPUs. I know that I want a CPU that's more powerful than my current i5 4670K, and probably 32GB of RAM. I'm still not sure if I want to spend the extra coin on ECC memorry or not. Please let me know what components you'd recommend for this build.

Thank you!

Socket 2011 era server gear has come down in price. For VM get the fastest cpu you can get. I would worry less about how many cores, cause hyperv will manage that, and concentrate on cpu speed. I upgraded my work VM hosts and went with fewer cores/threads and got the fastest chips I could get. It has worked out very well. Quad hex core @1.8ghz is far slower than dual 10 core @3.0ghz. For your needs, a fast quad/hex core with HT would be best. 8-12 threads @2.8ghz+ will serve you well for your vm load plus give you some breathing room. The socket 1155 Xeon E3's are good value for money. Very fast, pretty cheap.

That is my bit of advice to you. :D

What I want in my new server, is to use another Supermicro SC846E16-R1200B chassis (getting refurbished from eBay again) to house everything, probably get another used IBM M5015 RAID controller (or something comparable), and run workstation or server-grade components this time. I'm not afraid to go the used/refurbished route. I'm looking for suggestions on components. I will be transferring my SSDs (OS and VM SSD connected to the mobo, not the controller) from my current server to this new one, but will need another SSD for my current (backup) server.

I have never built a server before, using server-grade components, so I'm not sure where to start with mobos and CPUs. I know that I want a CPU that's more powerful than my current i5 4670K, and probably 32GB of RAM. I'm still not sure if I want to spend the extra coin on ECC memorry or not. Please let me know what components you'd recommend for this build.

Thank you!

Are you planning on using ESXi or Hyper-V or something else?

With the motherboard features you want(USB 3 / SATA 3)your unlikely to find much used. Alot more option with USB 2 and SATA 2. Dont know why you'd use USB 3 on a server but SATA 3 isn't needed onbaord if you are using a m1015 to attatch your data drives since it will give you SATA 3 connectivity.

Depending on the number of VMs you plan to run will depend on how many cores you need.

Socket 2011 era server gear has come down in price. For VM get the fastest cpu you can get. I would worry less about how many cores, cause hyperv will manage that, and concentrate on cpu speed. I upgraded my work VM hosts and went with fewer cores/threads and got the fastest chips I could get. It has worked out very well. Quad hex core @1.8ghz is far slower than dual 10 core @3.0ghz. For your needs, a fast quad/hex core with HT would be best. 8-12 threads @2.8ghz+ will serve you well for your vm load plus give you some breathing room. The socket 1155 Xeon E3's are good value for money. Very fast, pretty cheap.

That is my bit of advice to you. :D

Thanks for your input. I will definitely look into that.

Are you planning on using ESXi or Hyper-V or something else?

With the motherboard features you want(USB 3 / SATA 3)your unlikely to find much used. Alot more option with USB 2 and SATA 2. Dont know why you'd use USB 3 on a server but SATA 3 isn't needed onbaord if you are using a m1015 to attatch your data drives since it will give you SATA 3 connectivity.

Depending on the number of VMs you plan to run will depend on how many cores you need.

I will be using Hyper-V in Server 2012 R2. USB 3.0 isn't necessary, but SATA 3.0 is. I'd like to run my system drive and VM drives from the motherboard rather than the backplane. That way the OS's can't lose performance from the almost constant reading/writing going on with the multiple arrays I'll have through the backplane.

It appears that the best valued CPU in an E3 is the 1241V3, while the 2620V3 is the best valued CPU for an E5. Schizrade would probably do the E3, but which CPU would be best for what I'm looking to do? Currently, Microcenter has the E3 for $229.99, while the E5 is $339.99. That's a $110 difference there.

Also, why should I limit myself to a Xeon? What advantages do I have, with the exception of ECC memory, going with a Xeon over an i7?

It appears that the best valued CPU in an E3 is the 1241V3, while the 2620V3 is the best valued CPU for an E5. Schizrade would probably do the E3, but which CPU would be best for what I'm looking to do? Currently, Microcenter has the E3 for $229.99, while the E5 is $339.99. That's a $110 difference there.

Also, why should I limit myself to a Xeon? What advantages do I have, with the exception of ECC memory, going with a Xeon over an i7?

Depends on how much memory you need to throw at the VM's. The i7's max out at 32gb's with the exception of the new ddr4 ones which is 64gb. The server grade boards have less chance of compatibility issues with things like the raid cards, more management card options, etc(although getting a supermicro board or something like it that takes an i7 will take some of these issues away).

Depends on how much memory you need to throw at the VM's. The i7's max out at 32gb's with the exception of the new ddr4 ones which is 64gb. The server grade boards have less chance of compatibility issues with things like the raid cards, more management card options, etc(although getting a supermicro board or something like it that takes an i7 will take some of these issues away).

I currently have 16GB in my host, which is okay, but I'll plan on getting 32GB in the new server. I don't intend on needing anymore than that.

So far, here are the components that I have decided on:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1241V3
MOBO: ASRock E3C224-4L
RAM: Kingston 8GB KVR16LE11/8KF (x4)
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB

I decided on the E3 because of the cost to performance that I was finding from cpubenchmark.net. I think I'll be happy with it. Any objections?

I initially wanted to go with a Supermicro motherboard, but I've been reading good things about ASRock. I like that this board has IPMI and 4 GbE ports. Any objections?

I couldn't find much of the ASRock's recommended RAM, but the RAM I chose is very close to what's on their recommended list. Any objections here?

I've been happy with all of my Samsung 840s and 850s, so I see no reason not to go with another for my OS drive.

I currently have 16GB in my host, which is okay, but I'll plan on getting 32GB in the new server. I don't intend on needing anymore than that.

So far, here are the components that I have decided on:

CPU: Intel Xeon E3-1241V3
MOBO: ASRock E3C224-4L
RAM: Kingston 8GB KVR16LE11/8KF (x4)
SSD: Samsung 850 EVO 120GB

I decided on the E3 because of the cost to performance that I was finding from cpubenchmark.net. I think I'll be happy with it. Any objections?

I initially wanted to go with a Supermicro motherboard, but I've been reading good things about ASRock. I like that this board has IPMI and 4 GbE ports. Any objections?

I couldn't find much of the ASRock's recommended RAM, but the RAM I chose is very close to what's on their recommended list. Any objections here?

I've been happy with all of my Samsung 840s and 850s, so I see no reason not to go with another for my OS drive.

Looks like a sweet build. It should serve you well.

The last servers I built were using Tyan boards, so I cannot comment on the board, but the CPU should fly.

Back