• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Screen Advice - For Gaming

ritch1

Weaksauce
Joined
Sep 1, 2005
Messages
112
I need a new screen as my Hanns-G 28 inch has died on me. Problem is I am completely overwhelmed with the new features to look out for when buying a new screen. I mainly want a screen that will be good for gaming, with a very low response times as sensitive to that.

Ideally i’d like to keep to a larger size screen of at least 27 inches. I think i’d find going down to 24 difficult now. I don’t intend to get into 3D gaming but am hearing the 120/144Mzh refresh rates are beneficial and I like the idea of smoother frame rates.

From what I can tell my options are the Asus VG278HE or Benq XL2720T but my question is are these worth buying even though I don’t plan on using 3D? Also will the higher frame rates work with all games, I’m pretty big into Skyrim and Fallout 3?

My graphics card is a Nvidia GTX580 and seemed to run games ok on on 1900 x 1200 but would the above displays scale down well to 1680 x 1050 if needed?

I’m wondering if going the 120/144Mhz is more trouble than its worth as well? I’m looking to spend up to around £400 but would welcome a cheaper screen if the high refresh and lightboost stuff is unnecessary.

Or should I give up the bigger screen idea and go back down to a 24 inch LOL, so many decisions. I am a bit disorganised as I need a quick solution due to currently having no screen at all. I just dont want to make a stupid decision. Thanks for any advice.
 
With a 580, you're not really gonna be getting anything over 60 FPS in modern games. You're lucky to get that much actually. You're definitely gonna see a benefit of a 120hz monitor in Fallout 3 and Skyrim but I find higher refresh rates really shine in faster and fancier games with a lot of extravagant animation.

Oh and, downscaling is never a good idea with LCDs, just stick with your native resolution.

Don't even consider anything above 1080p or 1920x1200 with a 580.
 
So what would happen if I try and run a 120Mhz screen with my 580, would I just have to lower the refresh setting if it cant keep up? I'm thinking of getting a screen with the higher rate to future proof for when I get a new card in the next year or so?
 
Don't worry about it, you can keep your refresh rate up, performance in games won't change whatsoever. You just won't really see any benefit associated with high refresh rates. However, if you can reach 90 FPS -- while not exactly 120, it's still nice. Definitely looks smoother.
 
Back
Top