New SATA Hard Drive, problems?

BinaryCleric

Limp Gawd
Joined
May 25, 2005
Messages
193
I just got a 250gig Western Digital hard drive for my DFI LANParty nForce 2 Ultra (Rev A) motherboard-based system. I have had a good install of Windows (SP 2 slipstreamed) for about a week now and all of a sudden I get this error.

An error was detected on device \Device\Harddisk0\D during a paging operation.

Does anyone have any idea what is going on? It has only happended about 6 times in two days, and I ran check-disk and it fixed a few indexes.
 
Download Western Digital Data Lifeguard Diagnostics, install it on floppy or CD and run the diagnostic.

It will check magnetic read/write properties of all sectors. If any bad sectors are found, it'll attempt to read data from the bad sector, write the data to known-good sector, and mark the bad sector to prevent re-use.

Hope this helps!
 
If I understand your post, the failures are random in nature (6 failures in two days).

Running the WD diagnostic should resolve whether the problem is the drive surface - or not. It only takes one sector with weak/unreliable magnetic properties to produce the random read failure(s) you seem to have.

If the diagnostic reports the drive surface is OK, you've eliminated one possibility. The problem could be a software problem - or simply a loose connector.

Hope this helps!
 
I reinstalled the nVidia drivers and I have gone almost 24 hours without a problem *knocks on wood*. I am going to run the WD Diagnostic disk when I get home from work later today, ever since the driver re-install my computer feels faster.
 
Back
Top