New Samsung 850 in 20th percentile on userbenchmark? Something wrong?

fantazio

Limp Gawd
Hi,
I have a brand new Samsung 850 evo 1TB. I ran userbenchmark and got surprisingly low results. It put me around 20th percentile, and seems to be due to the low deep queue 4k speeds (50-100mb/s instead of 170-200mb/s)

My best results

My worst results

AS SSD

Samsung magician benchmark

I just want to make sure there's nothing wrong with the drive while I can still return it. I have a Gigabyte Z77x mobo and I installed the latest Intel ahci driver for series 7 chipset (13.1.0.1058). I'm not sure what to do and if this is even a big issue or not. Should I get a replacement?

Thanks!

Actually I just saw that the very first benchmark I ran was fine, so i think maybe using Samsung's data migration tool screwed something up. I ran this benchmark before I used Samsung's software to copy from my old drive to the new drive

Edit: formatting and reinstalling windows 10 seems to have fixed it. I'm now getting in 70th percentile with 241mb/s deep queue 4k speed. Not bad :)

Last edited:
I just noticed something strange. I just ran a benchmark now after a cold boot up and the deep queue 4k speed is a bit slow again (60mb/s). But if I start copying a file from the Samsung to a second drive and do that during the benchmark, my deep queue 4k speeds are in the normal range (160-200+mb/s). I just reran test and now even without doing the file copy it's even faster 250mb/s. But prior to doing the file copy, I got 50-70mb/s. I have no clue why. The test seems very inconsistent for some reason. Maybe it's related to idle power settings

Maybe is background tasks or trim/garbage collection. hard to say without a clean install of windows ect.

For anyone who ventures on this thread in the future: I fixed the low deep queue speeds by disabling C1E and c3/c6 settings in Bios. Now the SSD is benching at 80th percentile

Back