• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

new sabertooth mobo bad memory slot?

Notigg

Weaksauce
Joined
Oct 21, 2011
Messages
109
so... I just got this sabertooth x58 mobo. after hooking everything together I noticed two things.... 64 bit wwindows 7 was only detecting 4 gigs of ram (and I have triple channel 3 X 2) and.... each time it rebooted it rebooted not once but 2 or 3 times every time.

after some trial and error I found that the middle triple channel slot would cause these problems if anything was plugged into it (any one of the three sticks) and nothing in that slot counted towaards my memory. so it appears defective.

edit: sorry mean tto put this in the motherboard forum
 
Last edited:
What speed are you running your ram at? Remember that DDR3 1066 is the highest official supported ram frequency. Although some users have got ram twice that speed to work depending on their board and overclock settings..
 
I've got the x58 Sabertooth board with 24GB (6 x 4GB) RAM and I'd guess your mem slot is bad. While this board has been picky about what memory it likes with certain brands/sticks, whatever has worked in one slot, would work just well/bad in any of the other slots. If it really didn't like any particular memory brand/stick, the stick would not work in "any" of the slots.

If you use a Xeon processor, the officially supported memory speed goes to 1333. I have a W3680 and a 980x which are basically identical 6-cores, except that the Xeon supports ECC. Both have unlocked multipliers, and both have worked great on this board. I use the W3680 simply because it overclocks with less voltage and automatically uses the RAM at 1333, while using the 980x processor, I have to force the ram to 1333 or it defaults to 1066. If there are any other processor memory controller performance differences, they are not reflected in any benchmark scores I have run on either processor.
 
Back
Top