New RX480 - DirectX/Memory errors

qwertyaas

Gawd
Just got a new Sapphire Turbo+ RX480 4GB to replace my old GTX 460 (full cleaned Nvidia drivers). System specs are in sig:

AMD 1055t
8GB Ram
120GB SSD/1TB HDD
Sapphire Turbo+ RX480 4GB
Corsair HX520
1900*1200 Res

Settings on Shadows of Mordor and BF4 to max settings, I generally get either of the two errors:

DirectX memory error http://i.imgur.com/1TBTchK.jpg

Or a Windows low memory error. In use memory is around 3-4GB when playing but my Comitted is 9GB/9GB (1GB Page file).

Is the DirectX error related to the memory error (possible memory leak)? FPS stay above 60FPS until it crashes (generally very soon after loading into the game).

Run dxdiag and make sure your DirectX install isn't borked. If that passes, back off any overclock (if you have one) and see what happens.

Have you done some pagefile tweak / disabled your pagefile?
Edit: Yes you have, try increasing it?

Run dxdiag and make sure your DirectX install isn't borked. If that passes, back off any overclock (if you have one) and see what happens.

DXDiag reporting no issues. Stock OC is enabled. Checking temps and load, it doesn't seem to be an issue. Benchmarked Valley and Heaven (Extreme 1200p fullscreen) with even higher OC with no artifacts or issues - but that was just to stress/bench, backed off to stock.

and update the driver too.

Crimson 16.11.4 is installed

Have you done some pagefile tweak / disabled your pagefile?
Edit: Yes you have, try increasing it?

Since 7 I left the page file at 1GB. I just changed it to let Windows decide. Running BF4 ultra now with Android Emu to test out. BF4 crashed out once Committed memory hit 9.9GB/9.9GB so looks like it could be memory related - however there was no DX error this crash.

Edit: Testing out campaign now: Ram usage - BF4 using ~5.5gb in Commit, ~2.5GB in Use. ~8GB total commit, ~5.1GB total in use.

Last edited:
Crimson 16.11.4 is installed
thats NOT up to date, the new one is 16.12.2. go get that and change you page file to "let windows handle it" see if that gets you anywhere. and you might need more ram for how hard/high you are trying to push the settings.

thats NOT up to date, the new one is 16.12.2. go get that and change you page file to "let windows handle it" see if that gets you anywhere. and you might need more ram for how hard/high you are trying to push the settings.

Will update. Restarted again and Windows set pagefile to 8GB instead of 2GB.

Looks like BF4 Ultra at 1200p is getting my commit just over 9-10GB (actual Ram in use is around 5GB) so I'm assuming that was the cause of the crashes? Not enough Ram/Page File... What exactly is the commit - Windows reserving the max amount of space needed while in Use is the actual physical memory in use?

Thanks all - at this point assuming this was memory related and not GPU.

Will update. Restarted again and Windows set pagefile to 8GB instead of 2GB.

Looks like BF4 Ultra at 1200p is getting my commit just over 9-10GB (actual Ram in use is around 5GB) so I'm assuming that was the cause of the crashes? Not enough Ram/Page File... What exactly is the commit - Windows reserving the max amount of space needed while in Use is the actual physical memory in use?

Thanks all - at this point assuming this was memory related and not GPU.
I think I remember reading some time ago that bf1 needed min 4Gb page file. so if you want to play with it or need to save space... hope it keeps working, happy gamin!

Back