• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Rusty Hard Drive From WD

osrk

[H]ard|Gawd
2FA
Joined
Jan 10, 2003
Messages
2,039
Just received this in the mail from Western Digital to replace a hard drive under warranty. It looks like the PCB is rusted. It's date November 8 2011.

I feel like I'll send it back.
2012-01-11_15-48-32_833.jpg
 
What happens if you send it back and get one back just as bad?

I would just rigorously test it instead and send it back if it does not pass your tests. I recommend a 4 pass badblocks read/write test combined with looking at the smart (available on any linux livecd). Or if you do not want to bother with linux utilities a couple of full formats in windows with a look at the SMART with a program like CrystalDiskInfo should be fine.
 
Does solder even rust? I know you can have oxidation but doesn't rust only happen in iron?
 
I have a 1TB WD green drive (April, 2009) that looks worst than that. I had it since 2009 and it wasn't in any floods.

I think it might be normal.
 
It is colored like thay because somebody touched the circuit board. If it were the same color all over the place on the bare contacts, then I would blame it on plain oxidation.

Oil in the hands leads to markings like that because it causes the places where it was touched to oxidize quicker.

There is absolutely no reason to send the drive back if it works properly.
 
There's no iron on that PCB. That's not rust, it's flux. Relax.
 
Back
Top