New Router? Thinking Mikrotik RB2011UAS-2HND-IN

/usr/sbin

Successfully Trolled by Megalith
This is for home use... I'm thinking about going with a Mikrotik RB2011UAS-2HND-IN. Looks nice, especially since it has 5xgig and 5x fastethernet ports, plus POE on select ports if I decide to add a security camera or different AP in time. Does anyone have any experience with this particular device? I'm looking for an item that is more powerful and of higher quality/reliability than your standard Dlink/Belkin/Linksys Residential style devices. The QoS on my current 6 year old DLink doesn't work that well and even with bandwidth priortization things lag when someone is downloading, plus it needs to be rebooted when used heavily in my home of 14 devices, so I'm sure it won't be reliable at all with the additional load of 12-18 additional users.

I also have a few items that I'd like to accomplish:
  • Bandwidth Shaping and limiting by IP. Since I'll be hosting LANs I'd like to limit each IP to no more than ~15% of the Internet connection's bandwidth. This should help keep websurfing, etc. from impacting gaming. It appears as if RouterOS can do this http://khmercomputertrick.blogspot.com/2013/03/basic-internet-sharing-with-bandwidth.html I have a 60mbit connection so it looks like I should just be able to set it to ~6mbit max per user for the LAN party/wifi sides and higher for the private home network side.
  • VLANs: I'd like to separate my home network from the 24 port switch that will serve the gaming area (large unfinshed 30' x 20' room in basement with 3x20amp circuits) for security reasons. I'd also like to separate my wifi APs to their own VLAN as well, again security.
  • Something Robust that will easily handle the load of 50ish devices connected.
  • Something Reliable, I'm sick of rebooting my DLink Router every 7ish days.

Outside of the Mikrotik, is there anything else that fits the bill for arond $120ish?

The only thing I'm slightly concerned about is this product looks harder to configure than a standard home router, which being a more professional level product comes with the territory. I've never configured a device that needed as many configuration steps to get things working. Is there another device that's easier to configure that will fit the bill, or should I bite the bullet and spend the time figuring out how to config the Mikrotik device?

Last edited:
I am considering the CRS125-24G-1S-2HnD-IN. I loaded RouterOS on an old HP I have sitting at home and had a few issues with it. Setup is not very well documented so it was difficult. Also, might as give up any hope on using a GUI to do much if anything. All documentation I found was for the CLI setup. I've also heard that VLANs are hit and miss with the current builds of RouterOS :(

Part of my problems could be due to the fact that I loaded the 5.x series instead of the 6.x series.

The wifi can be pretty flaky on the RB2011. On the unit I tried pings would randomly spike, sometimes upwards of 1000 ms. It may have just been a bad radio but I see other people complaining about wifi on the Mikrotik forums.

You could always go with the radioless unit and add an AP, but yes the documentation is pretty sparse also. If you're comfortable flashing third party firmware, a router that can run OpenWrt is a good solution.

Ended up going with an Edgerouter Lite, seems like a much more robust gateway device plus I should be able to accomplish my goals with it.

I actually have both brands. A Routerboard 450G and an Edgerouter Lite. I did not go for Wifi on the Mikrotik as it seems a bit underperforming and unstable. I have not tested this myself but gathered this from posts in their forum.

Mikrotik has some more features and a better Gui, called Winbox (more documentation too). It has been around much longer as a router and therefore has had more time to mature.
Mikrotik often introduces new bugs. As long as you stick to core stuff like L3 routing, VLANS, VPN and some queues you will be fine. Their support is so-so making the best source their wiki combined with the forum. Also you can find a fair amount of tutorials on other sites too if you google a bit.
The device has been rock solid for me and has not missed a beat. It only has to route for a 60 down 4 up megabit home network so I can't say I'm stressing it.

Setting it up properly can be quite the chore. But when It works, you are done. I must say it was quite hard to set it up and you will need to invest some time in getting to know the ins and outs.

The core stuff I mentioned can also be done with the Edgerouter Lite. It can route in hardware (including VLANs) and the firmware is actually still more a work in progress. Like Mikrotik's Could Core Routers. Speedwise, it mobs the floor with Mikrotik as it has a more advanced hardware design. Ultimately, it should be compared with a "prosumer" version of Mikrotik's CCR's. I'd be hesitant to recommend the CCR routers as I'm waiting for one more suitable for home use. The firmware is not nearly as mature as the non-CCR routers so buyer beware. I hope, there will be quite a battle between the CCR's and the EdgeMax routers so we can reap the benefits:)

That are my views and everyone is ofcourse free to correct me of think otherwise:)!

Grab a Atheros/QCA based router and throw OpenWRT on it, it'll be a more complete solution than the ERK,
//Danne

I'm watching Ubiquiti's edgemax routers very carefully since I purchased one.

They seem to have a decent cadence on their release progression on this device. I'm looking forward to firmware 1.6 which should be out this fall. I completely expect continuous improvements/refinements for the next 3 years.

Even when 1.6 is released it still feels quite unpolished and I seriously doubt that you'll see updates that far into the future...
//Danne

Here's how I ended up laying everything out... I separated my LAN / WLAN into two separate networks. The "WLAN" network would also be used for LAN gatherings off of the 24 port switch. All of my switches are non-blocking as well.

L.png

Here's the current QoS I have setup for the WLAN / "public" side. I tested ti out and it seems to limit traffic fine, though I haven't had 12+ additional users hitting it yet.

Code:
set traffic-policy shaper shaper1 bandwidth 58mbit

***TRAFFIC THAT DOES NOT FALL UNDER ANY POLICIES***
set traffic-policy shaper shaper1 default bandwidth 15%
set traffic-policy shaper shaper1 default ceiling 35%
set traffic-policy shaper shaper1 default priority 6

***HTTP TRAFFIC***
set traffic-policy shaper shaper1 class 2 match PORT80 ip source port 80
set traffic-policy shaper shaper1 class 2 bandwidth 15%
set traffic-policy shaper shaper1 class 2 ceiling 30%
set traffic-policy shaper shaper1 class 2 priority 3

***FTP TRAFFIC***