new router blues

ECJ

n00b
I decided to upgrade my dlink G router to the dlink dir-615 N router. Prior to the upgrade the G router worked fine and i had no connection issues.

After the upgrade however wireless has been a nightmare. Here is my setup...

Router is sitting on my tv stand and has the cable modem, xbox 360, wdtv live and bluray player hard wired into it. I have a desktop with an Airlink N150 adapter that is about 20 feet from the router. I have my company laptop that has a built in G adapter that is usually within 10-15 feet from the router. I am running the router in G/N mode.

The Dlink DIR-615 is hardware version C1 and firmware 3.11NA.

I have several issues...
1. Desktop N adapter connects but the speed goes up and down all the time. it can be 150mbps and then the next minute its 4! I have no idea why its jumping all over the place. I thought if i switched it to N only mode it may stabalize. WRONG! It wouldnt connect at all then. So i had to switch it back to G/N. The pc stays connected but the speeds are all over the place.

2. The laptop connects and works fine.. then the router just drops me from the connection and it will not reconnect. I have to run a wire to the laptop to get online because the wifi will not work for long periods of time. I have no idea why this is not staying connected consistantly.

3. This is admittedly the least of my concerns, but it is a problem nonetheless, i cannot get my windows mobile phone to connect. I am using a Samsung Omnia with WinMo 6.5 with a custom ROM. It tries to connect but never does. This was never an issue with the old router.

Any other information i can give to help out i will. Please help me out if there is any help to be given lol. If not i may have to return the router for something else.

thanks in advance.

If your speed is going up and down it is probably due to interference. Change the channel you are using to something else. Also, make sure there isn't anything made of metal directly next to your AP or computers since that will also bork the signal.

ok i moved the router off of the tv stand and onto a dvd shelf next to it. i got the G to connect, but the N speed did not go up. I guess this is what i will have to live with for now.

If your speed is going up and down it is probably due to interference. Change the channel you are using to something else. Also, make sure there isn't anything made of metal directly next to your AP or computers since that will also bork the signal.

Matt's recommendation to change your channel is probably the most important thing he mentioned. Your router is probably on a channel with a lot of interference. Change the channel.

Back