New Rig

Finally broke down and built myself a new PC last night. The old Opteron 152/DFI LanParty rig had a good run though. *sniff*

Dual-boot Win7 x64Pro and Ubuntu 10.10

Last edited:
Old stuff sitting on a shelf for now. Need a NB HSF since it has had a waterblock on it since I've owned the board.

Yea, definately going to run some benchmarks when I have time. I will say that it runs really good, especially for a cheap mobo.

Build looks great, maybe get a SSD in the near future.

My friend's PC has an opteron 165 in it, very nice rig, still uses it for gaming

Opteron 152 @3003MHz still ran pretty good. DFI LanParty SLI-D was one of my favorite boards ever too. Might hang onto it for sentimental value, plus it still ran fine. Just need to get a box to put the stuff in, and buy some HSF's for it. Going to order one for the NB right now... brb.

Oh, you should see how I mounted my 939 waterblock onto the AM3 board. Even looks OK as long as you don't get too close to it.

Last edited:
I'll have to say that the MSI 879-G45 board is really stripped down and the BIOS... well it's just plain noobish to me. I don't have the income I did back in 2005 though, so had to keep things under $400 this time around.

I used one in my moms computer and I would also agree it's stripped down. But it has been very stable for her, that's all she wants something that when she goes to use the computer it works.

Was there such thing as Opteron 162? I couldn't Google it...so I'm just wondering how fast that CPU was.

Opteron 152 is 2.6GHz, had an Opteron 148 on the board before that. Bought the 148 when it was first released for $260 IIRC because they were supposed to be great overclockers. Could never get it past 2.8 without silly amounts of voltage, so I left it at 2.8 until I came across the 152. The 152 I just didn't spend enough time with overclocking, so it's always run at 3003MHz since that was an easy, stable overclock and was only 1.49v IIRC. The 152 is stable up to 3.14GHz, but I backed it off some to 3GHz for everyday use. Had to run 1.51v to the 148 to keep it at 2.8GHz.

Thought about a SSD, and just about bought one. Just hard to justify the expense for a budget build though.

Running at 3.41GHz now :D
Not expecting much from this board, bit it's OK I guess. I'll probably be donating this MSI board to one of the kids and replacing it in the future.

Back