New Rig won't work, help me out

I just purchased a new rig but cannot get it to work. When I turn it on I get no visual at all. The fan on the video card comes on, so I'm sure it's getting power. I built this computer from scratch with the following:

amd 3500+ am2
msi k9n neo
sapphire x850xt pcie
1 gig ddr2 667 ocz value ram
300 gig hd

If i'm not getting any video output, how can I tell if it's a vid card problem or something else not being hooked up right? any help is greatly appreciated

What beeps do you get? If none at all, try pulling the ram out to get some warning beep, if you get one then, something is wrong with the ram.

What kind of power supply are you using. It may not be working properly.

switch out cards

switch DVI or VGA

ensure BIOS isn't set to onboard video (dont know jack about ur mobo)

check to make sure your ram is seated properly

First i have a question....My case did not come with a speaker, do the new mobos not need one? (i havent built i computer since my pentium III) That could explain why i am unable to get any beeps (not to mention make me feel dumb) :(

After reading numerous posts, and your replies here is what i have tried:

1) Stripped it down to mobo vid card ram
2) Cleared CMOS with jumper and battery
-----No beeps
3) tried Ram in all 4 slots
----no beeps
4) removed ram
----no beeps
5) removed vid card
----no beeps

Is there anything else i can try? I discovered a member who had the same setup and similair symptoms, but haven't had a reponse from him yet.

The Mobo does not have onboard video, just audio. The PSU is brand spankin new.

although it might be a pain, rebuild. reset your proc. go with one stick of memory, and get your video card in there...do you have another comp you can test any of the parts in?

hard to tell with no beeps or a post.

a friend with some parts you can swap out?

Ok, i've figured out from the mobo forum that some ocz ram doesnt work in msi boards, so its goin back. but i still need to know one thing, do i need to get a speaker for this case or is the mobo supposed to beep without one? I'm gonna try a speaker from an old case tomorrow and see what goes down.

soem cases just don't have speakers anymore. My p180 doesn't.
It can make trouble shooting a little harder but in the end i don't think it really matters.

some otherboards come with a speaker in the box, usually a little black cylinder with a pin hole in it with a red/black wire. Otherwise you can prob pick one up at a comp shop.

Make sure that the motherboard is not shorting out on the case somehow. I know this is quite a pain to do, but take the mobo out of the case, set it on some anti-static material, and try to power it on from out of the case. If it does'nt work, clear cmos and try once more.

I have shorted my board out on the little brass standoffs before. Maybe the same thing is happening to you. Good Luck! ;)

ok, i'm about to hook up a speaker to the mobo to check for beeps. Then i'll try it outside the case. It'll probably confirm what i already suspect is the problem, faulty ram. Then, its off to the PO rma this ram.

Thanks guys for your help :)

ok, hooked up a speaker....still no beeps. I already know the ram wont work so I'm rma'n it for new ram. If the new ram doesnt work, I'll have to send the board in as well :(

Back