• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

NEW rig time...need some opinions

TheRapture

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
May 31, 2000
Messages
6,885
No "fan-boy" replies please. I get whatever brand I want at the time, so please, no flaming ATI or Nvidia.:p


OK now, opinions please, especially those that have done similar upgrades...I am building a new rig to replace the rig in my sig below....the new one is based on an S939 A64 4000+ on the Abit AN8 Ultra mobo, 2gb of PC4000 ram, a new larger SATA drive, etc., the rest is fluff. I have an existing water cooling system that is going into the new rig so cpu cooling is not an issue.


Option 1- keep my existing ATI X800 XT-PE vid card and spring for the X2 dual core cpu.

OR....

Option 2-stay with the 4000+ cpu and get the 7800GTX with the new system.
 
why not get the best of both worlds, a x2 3800+ is about the same price as the 4000+, then you can get a gtx.
 
darkhorse said:
why not get the best of both worlds, a x2 3800+ is about the same price as the 4000+, then you can get a gtx.



And I bet I can overclock the 3800+ X2 to the same speeds as the 4000+ ? :p I DO have a decent watercooling system....but a 400mhz overclock on the X2....seems alot? I have no experience with these...I know my 2ghz stock S754 cpu will do 2.5ghz on water with a good board (the SFF rig isn't)...man if that X2 3800+ would do just 2.4 that would be KILLER....
 
Kind of depends on your application of the hardware. I'm running a dual core at the moment, and you seriously don't notice it unless you go apeshit with multi-tasking. If you're just gaming, go for a single core and and the GTX.

Dual core systems are bad ass, but they're a waste of money unless you can put it to use.
 
DNA Doc said:
Kind of depends on your application of the hardware. I'm running a dual core at the moment, and you seriously don't notice it unless you go apeshit with multi-tasking. If you're just gaming, go for a single core and and the GTX.

Dual core systems are bad ass, but they're a waste of money unless you can put it to use.



I do some PS (just a little) and a fair amount of video encoding at times, so I guess it will come in handy. I went with the X2 3800+ and the GTX :p I plan on getting 2.3ghz or better out of it though so that will be nice...my watercooling system is going to find out how much heat it can handle tha'ts for sure. :D
 
TheRapture said:
I do some PS (just a little) and a fair amount of video encoding at times, so I guess it will come in handy. I went with the X2 3800+ and the GTX :p I plan on getting 2.3ghz or better out of it though so that will be nice...my watercooling system is going to find out how much heat it can handle tha'ts for sure. :D

a little photoshop? Video encodeing? :p

I can that on my system =P
Go for the Single Core and GTX.... GTX is next gen, and like everyone eles has said you won't need Dual Core :D

Either way your still gonna have a totally awesome system, but you can brag alot more with a 7800GTX :p
 
TheRapture said:
I do some PS (just a little) and a fair amount of video encoding at times, so I guess it will come in handy. I went with the X2 3800+ and the GTX :p I plan on getting 2.3ghz or better out of it though so that will be nice...my watercooling system is going to find out how much heat it can handle tha'ts for sure. :D

Well, I can't argue against building a better system - I just don't like to see people spend money that they don't have to.
 
I would definitely go for the better video card. I just recently upgraded to an x850xt PE and the graphics that I am pushing out are so much better than the x800. You will have faster processing time and better graphics. Go for the 7800.
 
Back
Top