new rig question

p.i.m.p

Gawd
i plan on getting a second rig so i have a few questions, not about the rig but the OS (winxp sp2)

amd x2 4800+ 64bit
2x1024mb dual channel
gigabyte mobo
bfg 8600gt oc 256mb pci-e

i dont like vista so i'll still be using win xp sp2 (dx9) but the video card will be dx10, will i be able to even use the card? i take it dx10 is backwards compatible? how will crysis play with this setup with XP ?

I can't answer the Crysis part of the question, but I can the first part. The card will work just fine under XP. As simple proof, go to Nvidia's site, and you'll find XP drivers for it. The box for the card will also state it works for XP.

To each his own about the OS, but if I was building a new rig now, I wouldn't even consider XP at this point, knowing I'd have an additional cost down the road to go to Vista. I'd make the leap now, and not look back. Vista x64 would run great on that system.

ty for the quick reply, your answer was what i wanted to know :)

one more question, will there down the road even be dx10 for XP ? or is M$ gonna leave XP @ dx9 ? or is it not possible/feasible to get dx10 on XP ?

You won't need DX10 to play Crysis, it's just that DX9 mode won't have all the eye candy.

But then again, it's not like an 8600GT will be able to run it on high settings. The setup your talking about will probably run it on low-medium settings.

Back