New rig, need some opinions please.

Sedgie!

Weaksauce
Hey guys,

Here are the proposed parts

CASE: Thermaltake Kandalf (already have it)

PRC: AMD Athlon 3800+ X2

GPU: eVGA 7800GT

RAM: 2 x 512MB OCZ EL Platinum Revision

MOBO: Asus A8N-SLI Premium (future sli on the 7800gt)

PSU: to be announced

HDD: ata133 60gb WDC and a 250 GB external seagate HD (already have these)

My main area of concern is the HDDs. First off, I'm not even sure if the ata133 HDD will be compatible with the motherboard. Could someone check this for me? My other option was to drop down to a clawhammer 3500, but I need that dualy for my purposes. I'm hoping that 250GB external is enough to hold me over until I can save up enough for a better setup.

My other option is to drop down to some patriot ram at around $120, and to an a8n-e motherboard ($105). That way I could afford a nice hard drive, but I don't really want to sacrifice my option for SLI or the OCZ overclocking goodness. What would you guys do?

Also, for the above system, what kind of wattage on the PSU would you recommend?

Any other comments or suggestions? Thanks in advance,
J. Sedgwick

Bump, I need to order these parts soon, and help would be greatly appreciated.

Sedgie! said:
Hey guys,

Here are the proposed parts

CASE: Thermaltake Kandalf (already have it)

PRC: AMD Athlon 3800+ X2

GPU: eVGA 7800GT

RAM: 2 x 512MB OCZ EL Platinum Revision

MOBO: Asus A8N-SLI Premium (future sli on the 7800gt)

PSU: to be announced

HDD: ata133 60gb WDC and a 250 GB external seagate HD (already have these)

My main area of concern is the HDDs. First off, I'm not even sure if the ata133 HDD will be compatible with the motherboard. Could someone check this for me? My other option was to drop down to a clawhammer 3500, but I need that dualy for my purposes. I'm hoping that 250GB external is enough to hold me over until I can save up enough for a better setup.

My other option is to drop down to some patriot ram at around $120, and to an a8n-e motherboard ($105). That way I could afford a nice hard drive, but I don't really want to sacrifice my option for SLI or the OCZ overclocking goodness. What would you guys do?

Also, for the above system, what kind of wattage on the PSU would you recommend?

Any other comments or suggestions? Thanks in advance,
J. Sedgwick

Your hdd should be fine. I think you should keep the system as it is, the setup is great for what your looking for.

However if you are going to OC, the DFI boards OC better than the ASUS ones. The ASUS ones are more stable however in my opinion.

Stick with the OCZ ram, and if you are planning on doing SLI in the future I would definitely recommend at least 500w for your PSU.

discochan said:
Your hdd should be fine. I think you should keep the system as it is, the setup is great for what your looking for.

However if you are going to OC, the DFI boards OC better than the ASUS ones. The ASUS ones are more stable however in my opinion.

Stick with the OCZ ram, and if you are planning on doing SLI in the future I would definitely recommend at least 500w for your PSU.

This is one of my first rigs, so I feel more comfortable with the Asus. I guess you're right about the HDDs, thanks a lot. I'll soon post with my PSU of choice.

Sedgie! said:
This is one of my first rigs, so I feel more comfortable with the Asus. I guess you're right about the HDDs, thanks a lot. I'll soon post with my PSU of choice.

Try the OCZ Powerstream 520w, its a great PSU, SLI ready and its not crazy expensive.

Back