New Raptor, Install issue with windows

Tweakin

[H]ard|Gawd
So I just got a 74gig raptor today. This is my first go with SATA, so I expected to have to mess around a bit, but I just can't get it working. I know there are SATA driver issues with motherboards and windows, but the odd thing is my motherboard and windows detected the drive with no problems, without installing any drivers.

Anyhow, here is what I have done. I toss in the raptor, boot into the WinXP pro installation, format 30gigs of the raptor with NTFS and watch windows load its core files to boot into. At this point, everything seems to be going fine, but after it's done loading files and boots into windows things go bad. The little Windows XP screen with the progress bar loads, the bar goes across about 2-3 times, then the screen goes black and nothing happens. I let it sit a couple times for 5 minutes, but nothing.

Any ideas on this? I have a legit copy of XP and have used it on other drives. Also, I took the raptor out and put one of my 80gig WD's back in and booted fine into windows.

This must be a driver thing, right?

kevinf said:
did you press f6 at the beginning of the installation

No, because both my motherboard and windows XP detected the SATA drive. Should I have?

well if you are trying to install xp on to the raptor then yes you should have

when it detects it as a SATA it is only detecting it as a removable drive. I know that if you are installing raid or windows onto that SATA that you have to push F6 when it prompts you to but I don't know how to install it if you already have windows installed on another HD.

OK. So what driver would I need? I checked abit's site, they have a SATA driver but it is to use with RAID and misc controller cards, which I do not have.

Windows does actually load all setup files on to the hard drive, then boots into it, it just fails to get passed the loading screen with the progress bar. This tells me the drive is probably working and windows had no probem detecting and using it, though I could be wrong (and well, probably am).

from your motherboard cd copy and paste the sata drivers from there to a blank floppy and use it during the setup

Back