New Ram for my Sattelite

RLich8

Limp Gawd
I want to upgrade the ram for my laptop here, but I'm not sure what I need to get. I'm not really up on the latest laptop stuff, so bear with me here. I've got a Toshiba Sattelite M35-S456. It's only got like 512 megs of ram now, and It's just not enough for me. Do you guys think I should just add another 512 stick, or get a 1gig stick and throw it in there. Which would be faster? (if there even is any such thing as faster ram on laptops).

Also, is there anything else I can/should upgrade on this thing?

Thanks for anyones help in advance.

Nobody?

I know you guys probably want me to search, and I did already. I couldn't find much of anything. And I know nothing about laptops.

The Toshiba M35 series supports 2 GB max, so you could add a 1 GB stick, but it all depends on what you want to do with the laptop. 1 GB is a sweet spot and is what I run in my laptops, anything over that hasn't improved performance much for the money.

If your laptop is a recent model go to www.crucial.com and look at their memory configurator. Just enter the Brand. whether it's a laptop or desktop. then the model number. from the menu and then it'll give you the specs of the memory you can use. Or just look at the manual.
If Crucial is too expensive try newegg. They have sales everyonce in a while. I got a 1 GB SO-DIMM for my Laptop for about $135 including shipping and handling.
Normally I would've paid over $200. If you're playing any game with any background apps and want to take the least hits on your hard drive I'd say go for the 1 Gig Memory module. You can get a good price with some patience and diligent shopping around.

Even a lesser known name will be fine as long as it has good reviews (generally) and offers a lifetime warranty since it's very unlikely you'll be overclocking the RAM anyways.

I have 1.25 Gigs of RAM and when I run even WoW for a long time with a browser window in the background with several tabs opened and winamp playing my mp3's my page file doesn't get much larger than 50 megs and never larger than 100 megs. I also don't notice any slow down unless I'm entering a heavily populated area. I can alt-tab out of the game without any pause longer than 1 or maybe 2 seconds. If your 80 Gig HD on your comp is 5400 rpm I think you won't need any more than a memory upgrade to 1.5 gigs of memory. Unless you need more HD space the memory upgrade is the best bang for your buck.

If you don't play a memory hog game like WoW then 1 gig is fine. I have found that my comp uses just over one GB of memory when I play WoW so 1.25 gigs is my sweet spot.

Back