• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New RAID server build - opinions pls.

FrankieFiero

Weaksauce
Joined
Feb 3, 2006
Messages
83
OK, I'm getting ready to build a new Myth Backend/Media server. Before I commit cash to parts, I thought I'd throw my build idea here first since a lot of you guys seem to have experience with most of the parts I'm considering.

I've decided that I'm going to use an Areca ARC-1220 as the RAID card, this is what I am the most sure of and have based all other parts decisions on this fact.

ARC-1220 RAID card
Supermicro PDSLA Motherboard
Chenbro RM31212T 3U chassis
2x WD Raptor 74Gb
8x WD Caviar RE2 400Gb
Intel Pentium D CPU
2 Gb RAM
Slim DVD-ROM drive

I picked the Supermicro board for a couple reasons. First and foremost, it's on Areca's compatibility list. It also has the required PCIe 8x slot (and not an 8x running at 4x). Since this is never going to be a gaming rig, integrated graphics are just fine with me.

The Raptors in RAID 1 will handle the OS/Swap, the RE2's will be configured as a RAID 5 array and will hold all the media and recordings. I know there are 500Gb RE2 drives out now, but the $/Gb favours the 400's.

I haven't picked a specific CPU yet, I know the D 805 is a fantastic overclocker - but I doubt any motherboard I use will be. I'll see where the price points settle once Conroe is shipping. Same deal with RAM. I don't think having super-fast low-latency RAM is going to make a huge difference in this build, so I'll likely stick with one of the big RAM maker's 'value' lines for that.

The chassis I picked because I have a 42U rack, and this is just about the only rackmount chassis I could find that has 10+ hotswap HDD bays. (Other than the storage only chassis that is)

Well, that's my proposed build, what do you think?
 
Looks good, that is basically what I would pick were I building a system right now.

==>Lazn
 
FrankieFiero said:
The Raptors in RAID 1 will handle the OS/Swap, the RE2's will be configured as a RAID 5 array and will hold all the media and recordings. I know there are 500Gb RE2 drives out now, but the $/Gb favours the 400's.
[...]
Well, that's my proposed build, what do you think?

While the 400GB drives are cheaper now, you are going to buy 8 of them, requiring you to replace ALL of them if you ever needed to upgrade. You could get the same space with fewer 500GB drives, allowing you to grow the array. Also, lower power consumption, less drives -> fewer points of failure.
 
If you have the cash I'd say buy an extra 400 gig right off the bat or use one of the 8 as a hot spare. I know it would suck to have one fail then by chance another one go out while you are getting the first messed up one RMAed.
 
Back
Top