New Rage Screenshots

The art direction is interesting, but id isn't pushing very hard technologically on this one.

yeah, diffinitly looks like a console version's textures to me.

it still looks mighty fine though :) I can't wait for this to be released.

Man I love Post Apocalyptic stuff. The character and enviromental designs look good. throw Fallout, Borderlands, Doom3, and Auto Assault for seasoning into a blender and this is what comes out.

I hope this is the console version though, those textures looks a bit too soft.

I like. :D

It is the xbox version the pics were taken from. Expect some pretty crisp textures on the PC (so I hear)

They're probably the pc version. Even if they're the console version it's probably doctored because the resolution is too high and image quality is too good.

It's totally possible these renders are done on a PC but with X360 assets (i.e. the X360 MegaTextures). id Tech 4 had a built in mechanism for rendering to an arbitrary resolution and using stitched tiles to output a high-res screenshot. It's even possible that these shots are being output from an X360 devkit with stitched title rendering and resized. That would explain the lack of anisotropic filtering and also the lack of aliasing because the rendering is effectively supersampled.

In fact, that seems like the most reasonable explanation.

It's totally possible these renders are done on a PC but with X360 assets (i.e. the X360 MegaTextures). id Tech 4 had a built in mechanism for rendering to an arbitrary resolution and using stitched tiles to output a high-res screenshot. It's even possible that these shots are being output from an X360 devkit with stitched title rendering and resized. That would explain the lack of anisotropic filtering and also the lack of aliasing because the rendering is effectively supersampled.

In fact, that seems like the most reasonable explanation.

Thanks

I wonder if they will give us info on the release date at QuakeCon this year?

Just looking closely 2 of those screenshots.

On the second one the guy's left foot seems to sink/blend into the floor texture as does the chicks left foot on the 3rd screenshot :/

Last edited:
somehow their technology looks like borderlands. Id software really fallen behind in being the front line developers.

The only thing that has really impressed me so far is the game's skybox. Everything else is kind of meh. I just wish that I could feel that feeling again. You know the one, like when you first saw doom3 or when you first saw the 45 minute E303 video of hl2, or that first blurry shakey cam video of crysis. Now all I feel when I see a game is...meh. Nothing terribly innovating or technologically advanced. Just stasis.

The only thing that has really impressed me so far is the game's skybox. Everything else is kind of meh. I just wish that I could feel that feeling again. You know the one, like when you first saw doom3 or when you first saw the 45 minute E303 video of hl2, or that first blurry shakey cam video of crysis. Now all I feel when I see a game is...meh. Nothing terribly innovating or technologically advanced. Just stasis.

Get used to it.

On the second one the guy's left foot seems to sink/blend into the floor texture as does the chicks left foot on the 3rd screenshot :/
yeah i noticed that right away, feet are clipping... but they do say it's not even alpha so I'm not too worried about that.

I agree with the "meh" feeling. I sometimes wonder if you didn't look at screen/videos of any new games for a couple years, like until doom 4 comes out, and you just played that game without seeing it first, it might be a different impression. Otherwise, the gradual "improvements" in image quality are just not as impressive.

The thing I DO look forward to with rage is the supposedly innovative artistic freedom in their toolset. It's less about making things look realistic and more about great original artwork/design and hopefully a much easier/faster way to get there.

I also think they likely are keeping much of the different content/environments under wraps. Let's just hope there's a bit more variation then there was in doom 3 - I'd rather have a short 10hr game where every level is different/unique, then a damn long 40+ hr one where I'm basically looking/doing the same thing over and over again.

The game is fucking not even finished. I think it looks awesome, but it does look like a scaled image. I'm thinking this might be a xbox 360 dev kit. OR maybe they just didn't turn everything on because it runs poorly. It's gonna tax your hardware.

I already played Borderlands. Am I living in the future?

the game is supposed to be locked at 60fps on consoles, so don't expect miracles for graphics.

so yeah, we'll probably be running it at about a million fps cranked by the time this hits.

The girl in the screenshot looks like a dead zombie...typical of all the "human" characters in id developed games.

As long as the gameplay is good I don't care what it looks like.

Not sure, but didn't we see some 1st shots of RAGE in '07?
So maybe Borderlands et al *actually* copied the look of Rage.

As long as the gameplay is good I don't care what it looks like.

Not sure, but didn't we see some 1st shots of RAGE in '07?
So maybe Borderlands et al *actually* copied the look of Rage.

I wouldn't pay the trolls any mind.

Besides, any FPS game is merely copying woflenstein and doom, right? :rolleyes:

This is what happens when most gamers are playing on consoles. No point developing only for PC's anymore, which i find terribly sad.

Hopefully it won't be short and crappy with zero story like borderlands.

"Hey, let's just tell the player he's on the quest for something but never tell him what it is and string a bunch of random areas together. At the end when he reaches his goal, a big monster will just come out and then when he defeats it, it will be game over!"

Back