New Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Driver 17.4.1

FrgMstr

Just Plain Mean
Staff member
Radeon Software Crimson ReLive Edition 17.4.1 has just been released by AMD. Download links for all versions are towards the bottom of the Release Notes page.

Here are the two big "new" things that the ReLive driver supports and both are specific to Vive and Oculus VR gaming.

Support for Oculus' Asynchronous Spacewarp (ASW) on Radeon R9 Fury series, Radeon R9 390 series and Radeon R9 290 series graphics products. ASW compares previously rendered frames, detects the motion between them, and extrapolates the position of scene components to create a new synthetic frame. This technology helps avoid dropped frames and can provide an overall smoother VR experience on the Oculus Rift.

Support for SteamVR Asynchronous Reprojection on Radeon RX 480 and Radeon RX 470 graphics products on Microsoft Windows 10. Asynchronous Reprojection reduces judder to provide an overall smoother and more comfortable VR experience on the HTC Vive.

I will tell you assuredly that I have had extensive experience with VR and AMD GPUs in the past six months, and Asynchronous Spacewarp and Asynchronous Reprojection are surely two welcomed technologies when it comes to "improving" your VR experience. That said, when you are putting out the big bucks on your VR rig, and it will be big bucks, the last place you want to skimp is in the GPU department. While both the technologies above are targeted for making your VR experience "better," it is without a doubt that your goal should be to NEVER be in any kind of Reprojection or Warp of any kind, no matter whether you are using a Red or Green GPU. These technologies are stop-gaps in making your VR experience "not as bad" as it could be. Never think that these technologies are making your VR experience better. If you are not hitting the 90 frames per second / 11.1 millisecond frame render time, you are getting a substandard VR experience.

We are expecting new GPUs from AMD here very soon, and that will give us reason to once again delve back into VR gaming and start building the new HardOCP VR Leaderboard. It has been several months since we have done VR gaming coverage, and since then new GPUs have launched, drivers have matured, and along with those hopefully so has the VR gaming experience for AMD and NVIDIA.

1479354313KJcQgNql5m_6_2.png

While certainly we are looking forward to new Polaris GPUs in the middle of the stack, the big bad Vega is what we really want to get our hands on.

Issues that have been fixed in this driver are notable as well, certainly the Wildlands multi-GPU scaling.

Fixed Issues
Display flickering may be experienced on some AMD FreeSync displays when running applications in windowed borderless fullscreen.
Radeon Settings install may become stuck or unresponsive when doing a driver upgrade through Radeon Settings.
Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon® Wildlands may experience poor Multi GPU scaling on some Multi GPU enabled system configurations.

Looking forward to more VR review, hopefully this time AMD can deliver premium VR experience instead of just saying it.

So the r9 390 I have gets ASW , but not Async Reprojection? That sucks (and seems rather arbitrary)

Same here on VR reviews and maybe some how to's for getting Occulus games working on the Vive and visa versa. While the information is out there it is not clear what kind of experience and hoops you really have to go through or if it is even worth it. I also agree anything less than 90fps is rather noticeable and can be very distracting in VR.

Will have to download and install this driver.

I don't even understand the AMD graphics platform any more...

Just an FYI. If you use a third party overclocking tool like Overdrive or GPU Tweak for your AMD video card these drivers will BSOD. If you still want to use these drivers uninstall that whatever tool you are using, install the drivers, and then use WattMan to overclock your card.

So, this update is pretty much useless for my R9 295x2, if I'm not running any VR. Was hoping for the xfire fix for ME:A. And not borking my r9 295x2 like the 17.3.3 drivers did.

So the r9 390 I have gets ASW , but not Async Reprojection? That sucks (and seems rather arbitrary)
Yeah, noticed that, too. Was excited to see Async for Hawaii and Fiji, then realized it was Rift only, not Vive. :(

I've given up on drivers from AMD once watt man destroyed my 290xs. They stay locked at 300mhz with it instant even when disabled. December's drivers work and that's it until Vega. I reported the problems but of course why fix "old" hardware. I still do better than a rx 480 and I'm clocked like 166mhz slower.

I hope they brought back "pixel format" as it was missing in the last few drivers for me via DP.

Never been missing on mines, under Radeon Settings > Preferences (is right at the bottom) > Radeon Additional Settings > My Digital Flat Panels > Pixel Format

Yeah, noticed that, too. Was excited to see Async for Hawaii and Fiji, then realized it was Rift only, not Vive. :(
I was told by Valve that would likely never happen for current AMD GPUs due to the amount of work involved.

Kyle your initial post seems written by a person who never experienced atw / asw working in tandem, might i be right ?

Then how come you speak of atw and asw in a matter that might lead people to think "If i dont spend 500+ $ more on my setup vr isnt enjoyable at all" ?

There are more than enough people that actually rather crank up ss on high end systems then trying to hit 90+ fps all the time and they actually prefer the minor asw artifacts over a lower resolution.

I do notice asw engaging on my system aswell but never once has it been a distraction from the actual gameplay.

Asw is the one single technology that brought VR atleast to the ballpark ;) of console vr ( 1000$ all in vr setups are possible now with parts partly sourced on craigslist etc ) and thereby one of the biggest helpers to spread early vr to a broader audience.
First off, do not put words in my mouth as it is obvious that you have not read much, if any, of my VR coverage over the last 9 months. The statement above is not a quote of mine and it is not something that I would come close to saying.

Thanks for your thoughts however. I will continue to suggest to our readers that for the best VR experiences that they do not want their HMD to be in any kind of Warp or Reprojection. To suggest that Warp or Reprojection techniques being used at this time do not diminish the overall experience is misleading.

Enjoy your ASW engagements that you notice, but do not break the immersion of your VR experience.

On the flip side, we can call Valve a lazy developer. Always two angles to play at, and you mentioned it in your driver performance reviews not to far back regarding performance increases over time.
Well, I will say this, Valve seems to be working very hard on the VR side of things. I have actually even asked about getting features implemented into SteamVR that rolled out into their betas less than 48 hours later. Oculus on the other hand.....

My hope was actually that well see an article about what the low end of VR looks like today,
We did test RX480 every review. And on the summary pages of all the articles, I talked a lot about the experience, not just data. Kinda like this....

We have reviewed VR games in the past where being in Reprojection was a deal breaker, and some where it was not. More often than not, you do not want to be in Reprojection though. In Serious Sam VR, it does not seem to be such a deal breaker, and I am pretty sure this is why we see the menu option to turn it on and leave it on. Keep in mind that there is no locomotion for our Sam character. We are always standing pretty much "still." Most of the monsters coming at you are running straight for you. There is not a lot of horizontal movement across the screen by the bad guys at all. Now while you can certainly, and clearly see, Reprojection going on with the gun models in your hands, it is not so easily identified in the gaming map overall. Of course your head movement introduces some frame judder, but it is not easy to identify in-game, unless you are in a menu.

The reason I am telling you all this about Reprojection is that I would rather play SSVR at our "High" settings with our AMD RX 480, R9 Fury X, and NVIDIA GTX 1060 with Interleaved Reprojection turned on, rather than turning the IQ down to keep our Render Times low enough to not cause Reprojection. Now of course you may not feel this way, and maybe I am not as sensitive to it as others might be. YMMV. That all said, I would rather play SSVR at our High IQ settings, with no Reprojection. You simply get a better visual that will lead to better shooting. The one big "bad thing" about playing in Reprojection is with guns that have laser sights. You will see a lot of frame judder using these and it might be too distracting for you. I could however deal with it.

I hate AMD drivers , i really do and even the website page layout its terrible.
They need to impriove it to compete with nVidia fan boys.

Im neither a fan of either, but Nvidia's website is much more easier to navigate.

I did support AMD by buying a Graphics card so i need to be patient , accept and learn i guess.

I hate AMD drivers , i really do and even the website page layout its terrible.
They need to impriove it to compete with nVidia fan boys.

Im neither a fan of either, but Nvidia's website is much more easier to navigate.

I did support AMD by buying a Graphics card so i need to be patient , accept and learn i guess.
I don't understand this support AMD concept - AMD should be supporting us as a customer. Sounds like business tax or welfare that the common person feels obligated or something. Not saying that is the case for you. I expect AMD to support their customers with top notch services, hardware, performance for the price etc. Well in RyZen that is looking to be more the case but still some wrinkles that need to be ironed out.

I wonder if I am the only RX4xx owner who never installs the ReLive portion because I have zero interest.

Back