New Rad...What's the next Step...

Fried One

n00b
Hi Guys,
Been enjoying this forum so far. Thanks for all the responses. This will be my first custom loop. My order arrived today. How do I prep my new rad before installation. I know there are products out there to clean the rad. I have not purchased any. Guess purchasing the hardware was paramount.
Any recommendations to prepping a new rad.Does anything need to be done to new pump/res before installation as well. I also ordered and inline Bitspower filter. I have not seen any in peoples builds. Is this something that you recommend using. Will it impede flow at all. I believe it should go between the pump to the first block.
I also really want to include a flow meter. Any recommendations on a brand.
Thanks Guys.

I usually just flush with distilled water. If it has an overwhelming chemical odor (which is subjective), I'll do a splash of distilled vinegar with distilled water. Then flush with just distilled water until I don't smell the vinegar anymore.

Don't use tap or "filtered" water. For many little reasons, I'm sure others will be more detailed there than I could.

Never heard of a filter on a water loop. Shouldn't be necessary, but if it's designed for water loops, it probably won't restrict enough to make a difference. May help prevent some common issues, but I would still plan to flush it out twice a year.

Good luck. It's definitely a fun project.

I usually just flush with distilled water. If it has an overwhelming chemical odor (which is subjective), I'll do a splash of distilled vinegar with distilled water. Then flush with just distilled water until I don't smell the vinegar anymore.

Don't use tap or "filtered" water. For many little reasons, I'm sure others will be more detailed there than I could.

Never heard of a filter on a water loop. Shouldn't be necessary, but if it's designed for water loops, it probably won't restrict enough to make a difference. May help prevent some common issues, but I would still plan to flush it out twice a year.

Good luck. It's definitely a fun project.

SticKx911,
Cheers, Thanks for responding. So nothing too complicated unlike using Blitsz from Mayhem....a long process. Just regular store bought distilled water. Is there a difference between pure distilled and regular distilled. Not sure if that's a thing.
Yes definitely a fun project. Measuring up to make a PSU shroud. Will reconsider the filter...
Thanks Bud.

SticKx911,
Cheers, Thanks for responding. So nothing too complicated unlike using Blitsz from Mayhem....a long process. Just regular store bought distilled water. Is there a difference between pure distilled and regular distilled. Not sure if that's a thing.
Yes definitely a fun project. Measuring up to make a PSU shroud. Will reconsider the filter...
Thanks Bud.
Just be cautious on brand of distilled. The main goal is no minerals. The more impurities, the more conductive a spill will be, and the more crud will grow in your loop.

The filter may keep out plastic or metal flakes as things wear down (or missed during flush), but it would seem more like a piece of mind thing over actual tangible benefit. If it was really filtering water, it would probably be quite restrictive. That said, I have 0 experience with them, that's just my educated guess from my experience with water cooling and weeding through all the marketing hype.

Flow meter is only useful if you can see it. Personally, If I were to add one, I'd prefer something that has an rpm sensor you can put on a motherboard fan header. A tangible number that can show flow restrictions or improvements vs a spinney wheel that pretty much only helps you determine if it's working or not. :)

If it is a new radiator then I would just fill it with hot water, shake it like crazy for a minute then drain and repeat a couple of times. Yes, you can be really cautious and use something like boiled distilled water but it is really not necessary. Your biocide or premixed fluid is going to keep your loop clean from algae growth, the flush is to get loose flux out of the rad. I have done cleans with vinegar, but that is for a used rad not a brand new one.

Hi Guys,
Been enjoying this forum so far. Thanks for all the responses. This will be my first custom loop. My order arrived today. How do I prep my new rad before installation. I know there are products out there to clean the rad. I have not purchased any. Guess purchasing the hardware was paramount.
Any recommendations to prepping a new rad.Does anything need to be done to new pump/res before installation as well. I also ordered and inline Bitspower filter. I have not seen any in peoples builds. Is this something that you recommend using. Will it impede flow at all. I believe it should go between the pump to the first block.
I also really want to include a flow meter. Any recommendations on a brand.
Thanks Guys.

I flush using just tubing and a sink, then I will fill loop with distilled and empty 3-4 times and then my coolant of choice.

Thanks Guys,
I flushed the rad with distilled water and only found one little black spec. I did pick up some distilled vinegar as well. Might just give it another flush wit the vinegar as well.
Cheers.

vinegar is only going to help remove any oxydation on the copper, it will not remove particles. Dont use it on a new radiator.

vinegar is only going to help remove any oxydation on the copper, it will not remove particles. Dont use it on a new radiator.

Hey Smoked,
How are things. I unfortunately am only reading this post. I have already put my system together. Just filled my loop with coolant after draining out distilled water after conducting a leak test. I flushed and drained rad several times.
I did heat up some distilled water and added some vinegar. Put rad through several rinsing with distilled water. Nothing I can do about it now. Will just hope for the best.So far so good. No leaks on 24 hr leak test and now with coolant all good.

Back