• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

new quad core box

sdadept

Limp Gawd
2FA
Joined
Jul 3, 2004
Messages
433
I'm going to build out a new box for Vista and I was looking at the Q6600. Anyone have any experience with this chip so far good or bad? I hate to be one of the first to use a chip, but on the other hand the boxes I build usually last me for at least 3 years so I want to get something strong. I'm most interested to hear if anyone has had major heat or driver issues with it.
 
My advice.... either buy the QX6700, or wait for the Q2 price drop. Right now you're saving a $100 and losing the unlocked multi (as well as getting a lower default clock).

After the price break, if it drops to the $5s and the extreme doesnt slip much, it would make more sense.
 
Vista x64 and Q6600 here. Absolutely fantastic. Vista knows how to use multiple cores. No driver issues related to the CPU. And heat is more than with a dual core, but if you don't overclock much, no problem. Otherwise you need a beefier cooler.
 
that's the info I was looking for. I don't plan to overclock at all. I just need a super fast, multtasking capable machine that I can dev on. I was most worried about drivers and overheating and from what you said it sounds like both aren't really an issue.

thanks!
 
that's the info I was looking for. I don't plan to overclock at all. I just need a super fast, multtasking capable machine that I can dev on. I was most worried about drivers and overheating and from what you said it sounds like both aren't really an issue.

thanks!

Driver situation isn't half as bad as people make it, but there is the odd piece of hardware that doesn't get support (like my DVB-S USB card, streaming from a 2k3 server to my VistaPC now, works great). But if you have standard hardware then you will be very happy with a machine like that.
 
Back
Top