New pump recommendations - needed quick!

LstBrunnenG

Supreme [H]ardness
Last year my pump failed. Now, almost exactly a year later, it failed again. For reference, it's this pump.

I'm not that keen on replacing the thing every year. It failed almost exactly in December last year too. Any recommendations for a replaement?

I'm going to pick it up at FrozenCPU today and I have a narrow window in which to do so in the next few hours. I'd appreciate any and all recommendations.

I am leaning toward this one: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2..._EK-DDC_32_PWM_X-RES_140.html?tl=g57c595s1938

or this one: http://www.frozencpu.com/products/2...voir_Pump_Combo_D5_Vario.html?tl=g59c671s2151

lol, that second one is the same pump :rolleyes:

Actually, I was going to recommend that one anyway. It seems to be one of the most reliable from others' reports. If you are not comfortable with the same one, the first one you listed also comes up as one of the most frequently recommended. They're both good.

These two pumps should not burn out in a year. Either you got a defective one, or you've got something else going on in your loop/power supply/configuration. I'm just a beginner though, so I'm not sure I can help with any of those.

Good luck.

Are all D5 variants just rebrands of the same manufacturer's work?

EDIT: leaning toward this now because I'm not sure where I'd mount the photon and not sure a full D5 will fit in my current res.

Last edited:
Are all D5 variants just rebrands of the same manufacturer's work?

EDIT: leaning toward this now because I'm not sure where I'd mount the photon and not sure a full D5 will fit in my current res.
Yes, they're all made by Laing and re-branded. All D5's are the same, your VP655 simply doesn't have the stock top included. If you take that top off they're all the exact same motor and impeller and look just like the VP655. When you say "full" D5 I assume you mean the knobby "ring" thing that you can see on the other XSPC products... that is only a screw ring and most of the aftermarket tops for the D5 don't use it. I have a EK D5 X-Res 100 and those parts are sitting in a box.

I prefer the D5 over the DDC range of pumps, I think they are quieter in my experience. I was going to recommend the D5, but since that is the one that has been failing on you the DDC range of pumps would be my second recommendation. If you want to get really fancy you could go with an Eheim pump (Aquacomputer Aquastream).

I'm also in the market for a new pump, the D5 seems like a solid choice. Seems like the DDC pumps runs quite hot and are hard to cool?

The MCP35x is very nice but is the heat going to be a problem / lower the lifespan?
Or is the heat not an issue / exaggerated?

The only time I have ever had any problems with the DDC series pumps in when they are in a free flowing system. The problems effects the 355 more than the 350 pump. The 35x pump is pwm controlled so shouldn't have a heat problem at all.
As for noise, all of my 350 and my 35x2 pumps are quiet and you cannot hear them when you are a couple of feet away. The 355 pump does have a hum to it and is noticeable if you mount the pump directly to the computer case. I have only ever owned 1 D5 series pump and I only owned it for about a month. That pump was louder than any of the DDC series I own and I could never quiet it down.

I switched from the mcp350 because I could hear a faint, high pitched whine coming from it. I went to a MCP655 (swiftech brand D5) and it's perfect. Even at speed 5 I can't detect it at all, I just hope it lasts longer than the two the OP had.

I have a MCP655 that was manufactured in 2005, and still running strong today. I acquired it in 2009 and use it in my daily system. I think the OP got really unlucky with his pump, and if I recall correctly, the warranty is 5 years.

I have 2 d5s from 2004 and they have been running 24/7 up until this very day. You either have an issue with the psu and/or ground killing your pump or you have some issues with your cooling loop.

Mirror the other positive comments as far as the reliability of the 655, I've been using one for years and it's still going strong.

I would much rather have a 35x pump as it is stronger than all the rest out there. Along with the tiny foot print. You can get them from other paces in the $75 range on sale though. I just linked you this to make it easier. As Swiftech's shipping is very high for some reason.

http://www.swiftech.com/mcp35x12vdcpump.aspx?variation=264
In white or black color.

http://www.swiftech.com/mcp35xreservoir.aspx
Reservoir top mount for it.

if you're going to ignore noise completely by going MCP35x, just get a koolance PMP-500, more powerful than an MCP-35x and cheaper

if you want silence, get a D5 (or two D5's in series, you can buy my reservoir !)

Funny as none of mine pumps are loud. Perhaps a little humming bothers some here though. Plus the Koolance PMP-500 is 1 pound. And it is really noisy also. But seems like a nice pump though. May grab one and test it out.

if you're going to ignore noise completely by going MCP35x, just get a koolance PMP-500, more powerful than an MCP-35x and cheaper

if you want silence, get a D5 (or two D5's in series, you can buy my reservoir !)

I've had both MCP 655 (three) and MCP 355 (four) throughout the years, never had a single issue or failure.

I like the 355 if you have a space issue, 655 if you don't.

Both are faintly noisy.....but if you use the sponge......silent.:D

Both are faintly noisy.....but if you use the sponge......silent.:D

This. I have dual MCP355s in a dual XSPC top sitting on three foam blocks (supported on the edges and and the middle with the bottom of each pump exposed to the upward airflow in my FT02). I can't hear the pumps at all. I use to have a MCP350 that I did the PCB mod to and that was audible.

Back