New pump for moderately restrictive loop needed

I was running two MCP-355s, but both of those have failed since, and I'm left without a gaming machine in the meantime. The new MCP35X looks alright, but for $100 I'd like to know it's up to the task. If it fares well, I may purchase a second in the next 6 months to a year for dual loops again.

Right now I've got two GTX260s/ EK blocks and an Apogee GTZ on an i7 in the loop, with a few XSPC rads for cooling. I'd assume since it's variable rpm it should do fine, but are there any others I should look at?

I should mention I was using this XSPC solution for pump housing and reservoir: http://www.xspc.biz/dualbayressplit.php, so I'll need to think of something else. My EK multires should fit in the 800D no problem. Does the swiftech come with a res attachment, or is that extra?

How many radiators are you running? Unless you are running like 3 or more, I would think a single MCP355 is up to the task. The MCP355 is a high-pressure pump.

Reservoir attachments to pumps are considered aftermarket pump tops. Aftermarket pump tops typically improve flow rate and pressure.

You could have killed them pumps yourself if you tightened them too much to the top or res attachment, just an FYI.

You could have killed them pumps yourself if you tightened them too much to the top or res attachment, just an FYI.

I'll keep that in mind should I decide to try another 355 or set of them.

I'm running 3 XSPC rads, a triple and two singles in an 800D, so there's quite a bit of tubing to contend with. The dual loop configuration also made maintenance a bit easier. They ran for close to two years before biting the dust, so I'm not sure if I killed them or they just wore out.

I am fairly sure that a single 355 can handle that, but probably at the limit of its abilities. I'm not sure if XSPC radiators are restrictive or not? I don't think they are, they're fairly low restriction. I believe the same is true of your blocks. I find that length of tubing has minimal effects on flow restriction.

If that's a dual loop system then I believe your pumps failed prematurely.

What coolant are you using?
Tubing type/size?
# of 90 degree bends?
Drain/Clean frequency?
Where are the pumps located in the case?

Just distilled water with PTnuke
7/16" 5/8" Tygon
a couple bitspower dual 45 rotaries, but the tubing passes through two sets of silicone grommets on the 800D.
Every 4-6 months for both.
In an XSPC dual 355 pump-housing/reservoir 5 1/4 bay thing.

I'm planning on selling this desktop after getting it in working order, as it's a fine machine otherwise. I may opt for a single 355 in the housing with just the triple and a single if all three are too much to handle. That should be enough cooling capacity for an i7 and two 260s at moderate fan speeds (sub 2k rpm).

From the sound of it a single MCP355 should work fine for your loop. The MCP355 runs hot and it helps to have a fan blowing over it. Radiators don't add much restriction, although your Apogee is fairly restrictive, still a single MCP355 with aftermarket top (like XSPC) should work fine.

Back