New PSU

Ripskin

2[H]4U
Im looking into getting a new PSU for a better +12 reading for stability. Ive looked at the Ultra X Connect 500w but found that its cables wouldnt be long enough.

The reviews I read and research turned that it would be a good PSU but the cable length rules it out.

As far as recommendation's im open for suggestions to a 500w PSU that can handle ocing as well as 4 hdd's and keep its +12 from falling to reboot land.

Ive looked at the MGE XG Vortec 500W power supply off newegg, but cant find many decent reviews of it. Looks would be nice as It will be visible, but functionality is priority.

Thanks for any info you can send my way.

If you look in the sticky section you will find some real review sites that will give you a good idea of what’s what.

The split 12V rail is for ATX 2.0 compliance. It allows for a seperate rail for the processor to sit on and one that is for other components. Basically, you shouldn't have to worry about maxing out the load on the 12v rails with an atx2.0 compliant PSU.

However, an exceptional quality atx 1.3 PSU (like the PCP&C's) are rock steady and will hold up where others fail.

If functionality is foremost, PC Power and Cooling is the way to go :)

Never heard of them....from the specs off their website they do have an impressive foothold, I will deffinately look into them as well as the dual 12v.

In your opinion which would be your choice for basic over clocking, 2 roms and 4 (maybe more) hdd's. The dual or the 510atx pcp?

correct me if im wrong...

From the info online I have looked at the dual 12v sounds more like someone who would OC a lot and have lots of devices. Where as the PCP&C's looks like it added to the amps to cut out the need or desire for dual 12v and keep it simple and stable? (I did notice their 12 device ad)

My current PSU's +12 is at 11.22 - 11.34 with + 5 at 4.86. +3 looks good at 3.2 Idle.
Not sure what they are with a load, but usually +12 goes up .20 or so.

(only downside to PCP is the price, but you do get what you pay for hehe)

Anyway, thank you for your time and information, learned a lot tonight.

in the PCP&C Turbo Cool line
you see an ATX12V v1.3 supply that has been the king of the hill for as long as Ive been a member of this board (previous version was the 425 Watt the 510 is realively new)

its advantages are
a real broad AC range (acceptable AC voltage fluctuation)
the Tightest loadf regulation you'll see (DC Voltage is rock stable with 1% or less)
the cleanest power youll find outside of a medical power supply
all the main DC rails having just 10mV of ACRipple
enough amps (current) on the +12V rail to raise the Titanic

what they didnt do was rework the supply to meet the latest ATX12V v2.0 spec and split the +12V rail
for that supply there is no need, as spliting the rail has to do with isolating any fluctuation that components changing their draw can impart to the supply, with 1% load regulation it doesnt really matter to the Turbo Cool

splitting the rails was a tactic first adopted by the Intel Developed Server System Infrastructer Standard, known as EPS12V, where there are 3 to 4 +12V rails
when the latest ATX12V v2.0 spec (developed by formfactors.org) was developed they adopted the 24 pin main power connector from the EPS12V standard and split the +12V rail;
(each ATX\ATX12V standard has also switched more capacity to the +12V rail for a given watt class to reflect the changing needs of components)

the reason the split rail can be important is in isolating dynamic draws in low to mid quality supplys with just basic load regulation compliance, which is 5%

put another way the spec reads that the transient response should be that the voltage for a given rail should return to within 5% of the baseline value (+3.3 or+5V or+12V) within 1milisecond for a 20% load change

the PSU converts AC power to DC Voltage as needed, so load changes occur all the time, CPUs on modern board run off the +12V rail, that wasnt always the case, there are even a few borads out right now that still use the +5V rail to power the CPU
but historically the +12V rail has been what powered drives, and they can seriously impact the load dynamics when they spinup, to about 2A per drive, one of the reasons you see delayed spinup options on highend RAID cards, to stagger that draw
by spliting that rail you assure stable power to the core components (mobo\CPU)

post script
PCP&C will be releasing a truely compliant EPS12V supply very soon (750 watt)
you wouldnt need such a beast unless your planning on a very serious workstation or NAS\SAN
the ATX12V v1.3 supply that is EPS12V compatible (just the wiring harness) in my sig has run all that and 10 drives with no fluctuation in the rails at all
and in the latest Maximum PC review, with a static load of 125Watts on the supply they replivcated a brownout dropping the 110VAC down to 60VAC
the +12V rail didnt even flinch staying rock steady at +12.08 throughout
it was one of three supplys that actually survived the test without shutting down and the only supply to display no rail fluctuation

in the form factor (ATX-PS\2) it is bar none the best supply available

Thank you very much for all of the information, of all the computer parts I know the least about PSU's and am trying to change that, good info.

I orderd the PCP&C 510 delux, from its specs it will handle anything I throw its way. Thanks again! It should be good from the reviews on their site and the way people have talked about them on the forum. Worth the money I hope :)

well that should reliably power most anything you can throw at it
the Express Version and the SLi version has dedicated (single) wire strands with respectively 1 & 2 PCI-E 6 pin video connectors (SLi 2 strands with on connector on each)

in the standard Delux Version, you would ideally take one of the wire strands and then attach an adapter to two of the molex connectors for each 6 pin PCI-E connector, and its recommended by the video card manufacturers that no other devices are powered off that strand....
the adapters generally come with the cards
you might keep that in mind if your planning on SLi
youd likely have enough extra connectors\strands for a single PCI-E though

Back