New PSU needed.. Quiet

Luca1

Limp Gawd
Hi,

I have a Corsair HX620. I want to swap it out for a silent PSU as I have a acoustically treated studio room and the HX620 makes a bit of noise.

Have recently bought ASUS GTX770 Direct CUII graphics card and its nice and quiet. So the PSU is the last to go.

Ideally I would like a modular PSU with a 'noticable' difference in noise level. Definitely modular, and perhaps able to just swap out the unit leaving the cables where they are. Around 700W plus for future proofing a little.

Any suggestions?

My system specs are:
4 x 2TB HDD
Asus P6T mobo
i7 920
GTX 770
Corsair H60 cooler
P280 Chasis (stock fans)

Thanks!
_Luca

I have a similar system running (i7-2600, GTX 770, H100i, 500gb SSD) and the Corsair RM650 never spins up, even when gaming. Solid PSU and good price. The future is more power-efficient, even a RM550 gives more power than you will ever need in a single CPU/ single GPU system (certainly the ones that are to be announced). Going with the RM750 will make sure it will never spin up (has a higher no-fan limit).

i was actually going to recommend a corsair psu.
i have have a few and they have all been very quiet.
the only fans i can hear in my case are the gpu fans.

noise levels also come down to the case.
there are fanless psus but idk how i feel about using one.

Depending on your budget

Seasonic G, X or fanless series.

And you don't need 700 wattts unless you are going high end SLI and/or some very heavy OC.

You current rig is probably around 350 watts, if you run some crazy furmark + intel burn test.

Awesome thanks!

Wow around 350 watts you reckon, that's crazy.

As I understand it, the corsair RM series fans spin up under a percentage load so I'm gonna grab a RM650 so it should remain dead quiet and also give me a bit of headroom for the future if needed.

Cheers!

I must have misread your first post, as I was sure you had a 760.

I do not know if you have any OC going, but your CPU is 130 watts and your GPU is 230 watts, and thats max. add ~30-50 watts for the rest and we have a max around 400 watts, not my initial 350 watt guess.
Still that the theoretical max.
You will probably never hit 400 watts, as the CPU and GPU are rarely hit their TDP limit and very few scenarios are able to load both the CPU and GPU 100% at the same time.

Looks like a nice choise, Jonnyguru has reviewed it. CWT build, 80+ gold rating, Haswell compatible, capable of +600 watts and fan doesn't run on low load :)

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=363

http://www.silentpcreview.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=66546

Last edited:
Yup getting that RM650. Will be perfect :) Thanks for your help, appreciated.

Back