New PS3 owner.

merlin704

The Great Procrastinator
So Saturday I am going to buy a PS3 for the bedroom to go along with the new Samsung 40in 1080P LCD I have in there (wife got it as my xmas gift). So to ensure I get the best BD playback, what are the optimal display settings for the PS3?

Make sure you have component cables or an HDMI cable so you can set the PS3 to 1080p. Other than that, there's nothing else you have to change. Keep in mind if you plug in the composite cables first, then switch to component/hdmi, you may need to reset the PS3 by holding in the power button for 5 seconds. (at least you used to have to with fat ones).

Don't buy into the hype that expensive HDMI cables are needed. The .99 ones on eBay work perfect.

Make sure you have component cables or an HDMI cable so you can set the PS3 to 1080p. Other than that, there's nothing else you have to change. Keep in mind if you plug in the composite cables first, then switch to component/hdmi, you may need to reset the PS3 by holding in the power button for 5 seconds. (at least you used to have to with fat ones).

Don't buy into the hype that expensive HDMI cables are needed. The .99 ones on eBay work perfect.

I have an HDMI cable already, I was just curious if there were other settings than the obvious 1080P option. Thanks for your input. :)

go to display settings and make sure to turn hdmi to full range instead of limited. its one of the first things I do when I get a new PS3.

Once I set the output to 1080P will it automatically upconvert DVDs or do I need to do that separately? I ask because not only do I have 100+ BD movies, I also have 675 DVDs and I want the upconversion for them.

OK I have my shiny new PS3 hooked up to the shiny new Samsung 40in in the bedroom. BD playback is amazing also I picked up both Uncharted games. Should keep me busy for a while. :)

Back