New PS3 owner - recommendations?

Careful... I thought about putting a SSD in a PS3 awhile ago before the slim came out. I was told that the original PS3 is Sata 150 (sata 1) port but dunno if the slim is Sata 1 also.

The 2.5" raptor uses a 3.5" heatsink adapter because of it's heat output.
ahh yes the 2.5's do have heat sinks (600gb was the only ones i actually looked at).

they have done some ssd vs normal disk based hard drives, and there is an advantage with the ssd's. just not enough to justify getting rid of a big gb drive.

ahh yes the 2.5's do have heat sinks (600gb was the only ones i actually looked at).

they have done some ssd vs normal disk based hard drives, and there is an advantage with the ssd's. just not enough to justify getting rid of a big gb drive.

Yep, slightly faster, but my point is you don't have to have the fastest SSD because anything that does 150MB/s will saturate the bus. I don't believe that any TRIM functions are going to be of any use.

Just picked up a PS3 and would like game recommendations. I'm mostly a PC gamer and won't do FPS on a console, but other than that I enjoy the typical stuff. I picked up LittleBigPlanet and MGS4 so far.
Grats on the purchase.
I'm like you don't like FPS on consoles but you gotta try the Resistance games and Killzone 2.
I buy my FPSs on the PC but when it comes to PS3 exclusive FPSs then there is no choice.

As for recommended games, I did not go through all 3 pages of the thread so I will just recommend what I think is good:

Assassin Creed games (all three of them)
Uncharted (both games) (second one is a must own for any PS3 owner)
Batman: Arkham Asylum
God of War 3
Prince of Persia
Tomb Raider Underworld

Metal gear solid 4
Uncharted 1 and 2
Killzone 2
Infamous
resistance 2
ratchet and clank tools of destruction and a crack in time
God of War 3 - A MUST BUY

I would also recommend folklore, but its very hard to get into (throw all your A.D.D away)

Metal gear solid 4
Uncharted 1 and 2
Killzone 2
Infamous
resistance 2
ratchet and clank tools of destruction and a crack in time
God of War 3 - A MUST BUY

I would also recommend folklore, but its very hard to get into (throw all your A.D.D away)

on your list, God of War 3,

saw it on amazon.com while i was looking it up after playing through some of God of War: Ghost of Sparta on PSP, it's $35 on Amazon.com, probably the new permanent price for this game.

I'm gonna pick it up at that price.

on your list, God of War 3,

saw it on amazon.com while i was looking it up after playing through some of God of War: Ghost of Sparta on PSP, it's $35 on Amazon.com, probably the new permanent price for this game.

I'm gonna pick it up at that price.

Wait for Black Friday, you will probably see it cheaper. Over the last week I just beat GoW: Ghost of Sparta and GoW: Chains of Olympus on the PSP.

These are the first GoW games I've beat, I have 1-3 also, just haven't put in the time to beat them yet. While Ghost of Sparta has better graphics and QTE's, it was not as good as Chains of Olympus (CoO) story and difficulty of bosses.

Chains of Olympus took 4h37m to beat vs. 7h04m on Ghost of sparta for me on Normal mode and finding most powerups so GoS is a longer game though! Both are still great games putting up my opinion. I'd say GoS is worth atleast $25-30.

As for the OP, i'm now a bit over 16hrs into Castlevania: Lords of Shadow (chapter IX) and loving it, I already recommended though :)

I think you're right RogueTrip, I also see Kmart having the new Assassin's Creed Brotherhood on Black Friday for $40

Infamous is good and cheap to buy for PS3. EA sports titles like Fifa, NHL, Tiger woods are good.

Is Valkyria Chronicles a good rpg? Good story and good length? I dunno, I see lots of people say GoW series and AC series, but both of those were terribly boring to me after about 30 minutes of gameplay.

Mushroom Wars was pretty fun off the PSN, Demon Souls was pretty fun for 1 play-through, although I couldn't replay it, especially not for as long as some people have spent on that game. The "enhanced difficulties" don't change the game at all, you just die slightly faster, but once you do 1 playthrough and know all the little secrets etc. it's the exact same thing over and over.

Marvel vs Capcom 3 is apparantly coming out on Feb. 18, 2011, so while that's still a few months away, that's my #1 recommendation :D.

I'll be honest, I didn't play AC2. I played the first one, killed about 7 guys, and spent 2 hours just running around climbing stuff and checking out views. Then I got tired of the repetition in the fighting and stopped playing it. My youngest brother played AC2 and he said it was boring too.

RTS and turn-based strategy games, along with RPG's are my games of choice, although FPS are fun too, and fighting games are fun until people get so good that I can't land a punch before I die.

Is Valkyria Chronicles a good rpg? Good story and good length?
It's about 20 to 25 hours in length, and the story is your standard derivative JRPG fare. The game really shines in the graphics and gameplay departments, however. I usually don't care about achievements or whatnot, but I found myself replaying missions in order to get a higher rating. Valkyria Chronicles is probably the best traditional next generation JRPG at this point in time.

If you aren't into that cutesy schoolgirl jap anime style stay you may want to try the Valkyria demo first because I couldn't stand that game.

Demon's Souls
Uncharted 2
Ratchet & Clank A Crack In Time
Valkyria Chronicles
Infamous
God of War 3
God of War Collection
Gran Turismo 5
3D Dot Heroes
Disgaea 3 (if you like grindey RPGs)
BlazBlue or Super Street Fighter IV (if you like fighters)

It's about 20 to 25 hours in length, and the story is your standard derivative JRPG fare. The game really shines in the graphics and gameplay departments, however. I usually don't care about achievements or whatnot, but I found myself replaying missions in order to get a higher rating. Valkyria Chronicles is probably the best traditional next generation JRPG at this point in time.

Except Valkyria Chronicles is nowhere near traditional. It's a very unique strategy RPG.

Best traditional JRPG of the generation is probably Tales of Vesperia. PS3 doesn't really have any good traditional JRPGs, but more than makes up for it with unique offerins (Demon's Souls + Valkyria).

most of the greatest hits are good. killzone 2, infamous, god of war 3, etc. and of course, gran turismo.

i been wanting to play Yakuza 3 myself.

Yakuza 3 is awesome! Forgot about that one. You have to be a bit of a Japanophile, I assume, but it's definitely great fun. I need to get back into it one of these days.

RTS and turn-based strategy games, along with RPG's are my games of choice, although FPS are fun too, and fighting games are fun until people get so good that I can't land a punch before I die.

Valkyria for sure. If you like grinding and don't mind a game that looks like ass, Disgaea 3 can last you hundreds of hours as well.

Being a new PS3 owner (for GT5), I've been looking over this thread and reading reviews on some of the games.

Well I bought Uncharted (the first one), and played it for about 3 hours last night. I just can't see why there's such a craze over this game. It felt like a crappy combination of Tomb Raider and Prince of Persia. Maybe it will grow on me, but this flagship has been a huge let down so far.

I don't know what to tell you. Uncharted was my first ps3 game and I couldn't put it down. I finally got around to playing Uncharted 2 last week and it was one of the best games I've played in years.

Back