New project.

tarheel112

n00b
I am new to water cooling and need some advice. I currently have a fairly nice system but am not happy with the temps. They are as follows.
Gigabyte x58-ud5 mobo
core 17 980x @4.08
megahalems cpu cooler with coolermaster 90 cfm push pull
12gb ocz platinum ddr3 1600
2 5870 in crossfire
wd black 2tb and 1tb
corsair 1k psu
blue ray burner and blue ray rom
atcs 840 inbbound. Upgrading from cosmos s.

My temps idle around 30-35c and load can reach 70c.
I contacted Dangerden about parts and here is what the reccomended.
MC TDX i7 CPU block
2 DD-5870 GPU blocks
1 CrossSLI fitting package
DDC 3.25 12v pump
Black Ice SR1 360mm Radiator
3 Yateloon Low Speed Fans
DD Single Bay reservoir
One 90 Degree Rotary fitting for the bottom GPU, this will help point the tubing out away from the PSU;)
8 Feet of DD/TFC 3/8" tubing
Bottle of Feser One Fluid
10 3/8" Hose Clamps
Arctic Silver 5
ATX PSU bypass adapter
This would creaet one loop and they said that was enough to cool my system and oc more. I would like everything to have compression fittings vs the clips. Just looks better. I also was looking at a EK supreme hf for the cpu block vs the dangerden.

Here are my thoughts on the main components:

CPU Block
: There are better blocks for the CPU then Danger Den's TDX (by better I mean it will get you a few more degrees, nothing extravagant). I am partial to the Swiftech Apogee lineup personally because its mounting system is fantastic and usually newer sockets are supported with the purchase of an adaptor.

GPU Blocks: Full cover GPU water blocks, and Danger Den makes great ones, are fantastic. But they are pricey, have next to zero resale value when you are ready to move on, and can not be carried into future builds. If you have the money they will reduce the heat and sound fantastically, but they are a money pit.

Pump
: DDC is a great pump, I've had mine for like 5 years with no problems. There are some great custom tops available should you want to run your setup more cleanly.

Radiator: The SR1 line of radiators are very good. If you want to save a few bucks and not lose much performance go with a Swiftech MCR-320. Here is a nice review of triple radiators: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1467444

Fluid: Use straight distilled and biocide. Don't mess with pre-mixed stuff. At best its on par with distilled and biocide, at worst it will fuck your parts up.

TIM: AS5 is all right, but its been surpassed. I'm a big fan of OCZ Freeze because of its low price and excellent performance. There are a lot of other good brands out there too.

ATX Bypass PS Adaptor: Use a paperclip.

Are you asking advice on the system you are looking to build?

One 360 radiator is going to be straining at a high clocked 980x and two 5870's. The SR1 is really a low speed fan design, and with the 3 slow speed yate loons, I wouldn't think it would be enough... or your temps would be pretty high considering you are watercooling.

I likd dangerden, they are nice people, good customer service. That said, they are on the budget end of watercooling. The peices do the job, but are not going to be front runners (that doesn't go for outside stuff they sell, of course). I'm guessing with a 980x and two 5970's money is not a primary issue, right?

I am of the opinion the EK supreme hf is a superior cpu block. Likewise, I like, and own, the nickel plated EK blocks for the 5870's and a paralllel bridge (you'd havr to go to their website to find it, if you wanted it). The crossfire fitting should be fine as well.

DDC 3.25 is a good choice - usually they recommend a custom top the x-top or one of the xspc tops are good (they help get you better flow rate).

If you can fit it, You may want to look into a second radiator. It's a full tower case, so hopefully you have enough room. And the low speed fans are quiet, but you might be better with the Scythe Gentle Typhoons if that's what you are looking for.
I personally like the thermocill pa 120.3 with shroud if you can fit it, but the SR1 isn't bad at those speeds either.

DD reservoir - actually, if you like the look, they are pretty good. I used one on a former build, no complaints, no leaks, made the job pretty easy actually.

If you want all compression - you're not going to need those 3/8th hose clamps. I prefer bitspower, specifically the matt black, because they look pretty good.

Fluids - unless you really want the colored stuff, distilled water is usually the best choice. A kill coil, maybe a little biocide will eeep it clean.

You're going to want more the 8ft. You got a big case, and you'll need room for errors.

AS5 is pretty old. If I were cooling a topnotch chip like a 980x, I might spring for the indigo extreme (coms in package of two). Shin Etsu also makes a good, easy to apply - the x23 - and that one can go on your video card blocks.

The adapter does the job of a paperclip.

Here are my thoughts on the main components:

CPU Block
: There are better blocks for the CPU then Danger Den's TDX (by better I mean it will get you a few more degrees, nothing extravagant). I am partial to the Swiftech Apogee lineup personally because its mounting system is fantastic and usually newer sockets are supported with the purchase of an adaptor.

GPU Blocks: Full cover GPU water blocks, and Danger Den makes great ones, are fantastic. But they are pricey, have next to zero resale value when you are ready to move on, and can not be carried into future builds. If you have the money they will reduce the heat and sound fantastically, but they are a money pit.

Pump
: DDC is a great pump, I've had mine for like 5 years with no problems. There are some great custom tops available should you want to run your setup more cleanly.

Radiator: The SR1 line of radiators are very good. If you want to save a few bucks and not lose much performance go with a Swiftech MCR-320. Here is a nice review of triple radiators: http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1467444

Fluid: Use straight distilled and biocide. Don't mess with pre-mixed stuff. At best its on par with distilled and biocide, at worst it will fuck your parts up.

TIM: AS5 is all right, but its been surpassed. I'm a big fan of OCZ Freeze because of its low price and excellent performance. There are a lot of other good brands out there too.

ATX Bypass PS Adaptor: Use a paperclip.

No price is really not an issue, however I would like to keep it under 700.00.I would have to look at how some people do dual rads on their atcs 840's and if I can figure it out it will not be a problem to put 2 rads in. I really want good temps and want everything kept internally. I am contemplating adding a third 5870 or holding off till the fermi's are more available.I know my sytstem will do everything I could want, but upgrading is a problem for me. If I pick up a second rad will I need to do a complete seperate loop or can I just run it from top rad-cpu-chipset-second rad-gpu-s-pump-res? Or should I have pump after res? or 2 pumps?

- Ek supreme HF CPU block

- Laing DDC 3.2 (aka swiftech mcp355) or 3.25 (aka koolance pmp-400 at performance-pcs) or Laing D5 (aka swiftech mcp655)

- Aftermarket pump top: EK x-top rev2 if DDC; EK x-top for D5 as well, OR EK-restop if you want an integrated reservoir (for DDC).
- For separate reservoir: EK or IandH tube-style multi-option or bayres
- Bitspower barbs (10.5mm ID) + worm-drive clamps (ugly, but effective) or bitspower compression fittings (more expensive, but prettier... not my preference though).
- Tygon r3400 1/2" ID, 3/4" OD tubing (for black tubing; use b-44-4x tygon for clear)
- XSPC RX radiators, or Thermochill PA, or Swiftech for inexpensive cooling...

- Yate Loon D12SL-12 fans are a great deal (but need slight undervolting for quiet computing). Scythe Gentle Typhoon AP-15's will get you slightly more performance for the same noise, but 3X the cost.

- Sunbeam rheobus extreme (6x30w) voltage-controller (for fans and DDC pumps if you want. Don't run DDC pumps below about 9-10v).

- AS5 isn't bad, but I'd use a different paste. I'm using Shin Etsu X23-7783D, but it's a bit difficult to apply...still easier than ic7-Diamond though. Arctic Cooling MX-2 is the default easy paste, and is at least on-par with AS5. I wonder how the new Arctic Silver MATRIX (joint effort with TIM-Consultants) paste is? Here is the [H] thermal paste shootout: http://hardocp.com/article/2009/04/07/thermal_paste_shootout_q209/4

- Indigo Extreme is the best TIM, but it's $20 for 2 applications... Still... I guess I would use it on an i7-980.

- Distilled water + silver coil in the reservoir. You can use some biocide too if you want.

- GPU blocks: EK is good... I've seen a 5870 block roundup or two by now, but I haven't saved the links for some reason. 5870's don't beg for watercooling like the GTX 480 does.

Edit: Avoid Feser fluid. If you're using compression fittings, then the tubing (ID and OD) must be sized exactly for the compression fitting, and make sure they FIT on your desired block(s). You may need to use one angled compression fitting and one straight.

- If you're going to watercool the CPU + 2 GPU's, then you will want an additional radiator. Fortunately, the ATCS 840 can accommodate your needs. http://www.xtremesystems.org/forums/showthread.php?t=251240 - This guy fit (2) 360 rads in his atcs 840... of course you could settle for something simpler...

Last edited:
Back