New products today!

Status
Not open for further replies.
No words are being placed in your mouth.
You're making statements that you claim I said, when in reality I've said no such thing. How is that not putting words in my mouth?

You haven't made any points. You've simply taken the position that the device is useless
It's now obvious you aren't even reading my posts. You've demonstrated, twice in a row, a lack of reading comprehension. I have indeed made plenty of valid points and criticisms, as well as explainations for my conclusions; let me quote a chunk of my first post on the matter...

Touch gestures are great when all you have available to you for user input is a touchscreen, they let you use extra fingers and motions to make up for the lack of physical buttons. Putting a touch interface on the back of a mouse, however, goes completely against the general design philosophy for both technologies.

Think about it for a second; a touch surface needs to be stationary so that objects can move along its surface, while a mouse is designed to be as easy to move as possible. So right off the bat there's a conflict. You either have to make the mouse harder to move (bad for general mouse use) or you force the user to hold the mouse in place, in some fashion, in order to use the touch features.

The Magic Mouse also forces users to change modes between grasping the mouse for pointer movement, and hovering over the mouse for touch input, slowing down workflow. A normal 5 button mouse has all of its buttons directly under the fingertips at all times, giving immediate access to all functions.

Now, besides the design issues, there's also the sheer pointlessness of it all. A 5 button mouse has 5 buttons as well as a scroll wheel. This is the same number of potential inputs the magic mouse has (5 fingers), though because you have to hold the mouse in place (and because the surface is so small), using 5 fingers is almost never an option for it. The obvious handicap this has left the Magic Mouse with, is that it doesn't appear to have any middle-click - not only does it not add any functionality, it removes some.
You're saying I didn't make any points in the above? Would you like it in bulleted list format?

If your best defense for bad press it "leave it alone! stop reviewing it negatively!" and "don't buy it" then this product really is off to a bad start.

It's one thing to ask what the Magic Mouse offers; it's another to completely dismiss it as pointless.
I'm not dismissing it. I'm completely open to any reasonable claims of extra functionality that I might have overlooked. You still have yet to actually bring up any merits of the Magic Mouse, instead choosing to attack me for my criticism of it...why are you trying so hard to silence me?

By all the points I've made, it is indeed pointless. I've asked to be proven otherwise, and all I've gotten back so far is knee-jerk reactions attacking me rather than attempting to point out anything useful about the magic mouse when compared to a normal mouse.

So, allow me to reiterate "Feel free to point out a touch gesture you can do on the magic mouse that can't be replicated on a 5-button mouse. I'm quite curious if there is one."

Who said the magic mouse is suppose to do something a normal mouse can't?

i ordered one just so i dont have to hear the god damned "click click click click click click click" of my five button mouse anymore.

Who said the magic mouse is suppose to do something a normal mouse can't?

This. A thousand times this. It's not supposed to yield any different end results, just provide a different means to accomplish said ends.

You're making statements that you claim I said, when in reality I've said no such thing. How is that not putting words in my mouth?

Summarization of your points is not misattribution of quotation.

It's now obvious you aren't even reading my posts. You've demonstrated, twice in a row, a lack of reading comprehension. I have indeed made plenty of valid points and criticisms, as well as explainations for my conclusions; let me quote a chunk of my first post on the matter...

You're saying I didn't make any points in the above? Would you like it in bulleted list format?

You've not made a single point. Repeatedly saying your five button mouse works fine and that multitouch should not be adapted to a desktop computer are subjective opinions without any sort of meaning behind their statement. Is it possible your five button mouse is superior to the Magic Mouse? Of course. Does it make the Magic Mouse worthless? No. Discussion should end there. Unfortunately, it hasn't.

If your best defense for bad press it "leave it alone! stop reviewing it negatively!" and "don't buy it" then this product really is off to a bad start.

What bad press? There aren't any reviews for the thing, and the opinion of one person on the Internet doesn't exactly constitute a PR campaign.

I'm not dismissing it. I'm completely open to any reasonable claims of extra functionality that I might have overlooked.

It adds multitouch to desktop Macs. That's the beginning and end of the extra functionality it adds.

You still have yet to actually bring up any merits of the Magic Mouse, instead choosing to attack me for my criticism of it...

I'm not attacking you, but I am pointing out that nothing you've "criticized" the Magic Mouse for makes any sense. You've set an artificial standard that the Magic Mouse must somehow go beyond the capabilities of a five button mouse in order to be legitimately considered a good product. It's a ridiculous standard on its face.

The only two questions that the Magic Mouse must answer in the affirmative to are "Is it better than the Mighty Mouse?" and "Is it useful enough to justify purchasing and using one over a third party mouse?" Preliminary answers are yes to the first, and the jury is still out on the second.

Once again: the merit of the Magic Mouse is that it allows desktop Mac users to use multitouch gestures.

why are you trying so hard to silence me?

Drama queen much? Don't flatter yourself.

It's not supposed to yield any different end results, just provide a different means to accomplish said ends.
Except it doesn't. It lacks a middle click, it lacks ergonomics (I'm not the only one mentioning that in this thread), and its attempt to meld multitouch with a mouse has left both technologies sub-par compared to other solutions. Where's the up-side? There's absolutely no hook?

Seems like another case of form over function. I really can't fathom how Apple's marketing team thought this would sell...

Summarization of your points is not misattribution of quotation.
Except you didn't summarize my points. You're spewing things I've never said. Are you really having that much trouble reading?

You've not made a single point. Repeatedly saying your five button mouse works fine and that multitouch should not be adapted to a desktop computer are subjective opinions without any sort of meaning behind their statement.
Yup, you're still not reading. How can you be so completely blind? (also, you've contradicted yourself. You've said you've summarized my points, then you go on to say I've made none to begin with. Which is it?)

Please re-read; much, much more carefully this time. These aren't blind opinions, these are conclusions I've reached based on a clearly stated line of reasoning.

It's pointless even speaking with you until you read.

Last edited:
Without going through the pages of everyone arguing the mouse and it's validity as a product, has anyone actually hooked this up to a windows box? My wife is interested in it and has to use BootCamp daily. She currently has a logitech bluetooth mouse that is being tempermental and she can't afford to screw around with it on a daily basis.

Curious if the same functionality exists in windows as it does on OS X.

3 pages of arguing over a mouse.

If you don't like it, don't buy it, simple no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back