New Praetorian 731

tonyou said:
I think it looks pretty good and having two 80mm fans as exhaust is not bad either. It is about time that Cooler Master has a new case!

Again, why put 2 fans where you could put 1 9 or 12cm..

Keyser0804 said:
silverstone tj03 and tj05 is how they should have evolved the praetorian i think.

Exactly. 12cm fan up front and out back is how a case should be cooled. What's great about the tj03 is you have the option on both sides for all 3 different fan sizes.

With the exception of the motherboard tray... terrible in the tj03.

I have some more information on this now. The case WILL be released in the UK but only an OEM case in the US. The case comes with 5 blue LED CM fans. The side panel has the duct that is required for the Prescott and a later version will allow you to replace it with a 120mm fan. Also, I recieved confirmation that you can use the old Wavemaster and Praetorian windowed side panels. Here are some more pictures.

praetorian731014at.jpg

praetorian731026kd.jpg

praetorian731037jn.jpg

praetorian731040ur.jpg

praetorian731058jz.jpg

praetorian731067bt.jpg

praetorian731070ch.jpg

praetorian731085dv.jpg

praetorian731098pw.jpg

praetorian731106vg.jpg

praetorian731116nm.jpg

Yay new pics! :D I like how theres more air flow in it. Sigh, I still want to review one :)

For those who don't like the new look..
What would your opinions be if they kept the chassis, yet replaced the bezel with the original Pratorian? :confused: :)

I think it'd be one hell of a case! Put me down for 2, one to use and one to mod!

I don't care for it...
the front is ugly now imo.
I still prefer the atc 110 sx over most anything, although some of the lian li cases tickle my fancy too.

JessAlba452 said:
For those who don't like the new look..
What would your opinions be if they kept the chassis, yet replaced the bezel with the original Pratorian? :confused: :)
Now that would be near to perfect IMO, simple yet very sexy.

I've got a praetorian. Silver, btx modded beast. That case is the same exact case as the regular praetorian. It just has a differant mobo tray and the front aluminum bezel plate is differant. There is no differance in quality at all. I still think its ugly, the first one is unbeatable. Aggressive simplicity. IMO, cm is lacking design quality, not architectual quality

ubern00b15 said:
I've got a praetorian. Silver, btx modded beast. That case is the same exact case as the regular praetorian. It just has a differant mobo tray and the front aluminum bezel plate is differant. There is no differance in quality at all. I still think its ugly, the first one is unbeatable. Aggressive simplicity. IMO, cm is lacking design quality, not architectual quality

How do you go about modding the praetorian into BTX? Also, why?
edit: I also know what you mean, CM makes terrible-looking cases.

Graphite said:
Yep, it does have two exhaust 80mm fans in the back, unfortunatley this doensn't help its butt ugly front.
Why, didn't they do this (two exhaust fans in the back) with the original praetorian?

Gee, my cheapass steel case that I bought in 2001 when beige cases were still very prevalent even had dual 80mm in the back. It's not that much of an innovation. I wonder why more case manufacturers don't have it!

zipcom.jpg

omg they killed the Praetorian. I just got mine in black and WOULDNT trade it for this case. This is ugly in my opinion.....the Praetorian now is waay nicer.

TR0GD0RtheBURNiNAT0R said:
I hope I can get the money for the current Praetorian before this one replaces it.
*shudder* that thing is just plain fugly.

It's not going to be avail. in the US so you don't really need to worry.

Spare-Flair said:
Gee, my cheapass steel case that I bought in 2001 when beige cases were still very prevalent even had dual 80mm in the back. It's not that much of an innovation. I wonder why more case manufacturers don't have it!

Because a second 80mm exaust is pointless if you can't get enough intake air to feed it. You have an 80mm exhaust, plus an 80mm (at least) exhaust in the power supply, that's more than enough to remove the air brought in by a pair of 80mm fans that are blocked by your hard drives.

Too many exhaust fans means low air pressure in the case, if the air is less dense it makes it cool worse. So essentially, having too many exhaust fans can theoretically hurt your cooling performance.

Stellar said:
Again, why put 2 fans where you could put 1 9 or 12cm..
Stellar said:
Exactly. 12cm fan up front and out back is how a case should be cooled
Exactly, why do case manufacturers put 4 80mm fans in a case when 2 120mm fans will move just as much if not more air than 4 80mm fans, while being much quiter, and less expensive :confused: :mad:

Why do so many cases have 80mm fans when they could have 120mm? The world may never know....

DarkMonkey said:
Because a second 80mm exaust is pointless if you can't get enough intake air to feed it. You have an 80mm exhaust, plus an 80mm (at least) exhaust in the power supply, that's more than enough to remove the air brought in by a pair of 80mm fans that are blocked by your hard drives.

Too many exhaust fans means low air pressure in the case, if the air is less dense it makes it cool worse. So essentially, having too many exhaust fans can theoretically hurt your cooling performance.

Yes, I know as do most people concerned with their airflow. Low pressure causes a vacuum which causes air to rush in through the space into your case as well but it's not as good an equilibrium of intake and exhaust. My point is why don't more manufacturers, if they're not going to allow a 120mm mount, allow for 2 80mm fans in the rear and leave it up to consumers to decide on their use? I have active intake fans in two of my 5 1/4 bays so it equalizes it a bit better but I'd rather have the option than a single 80mm fan in the middle of the back of the case panel, making it difficult to mount two or a large fan if ever the need arises. Many cases also have additional suck/blow holes as well.

ikellensbro said:
Exactly, why do case manufacturers put 4 80mm fans in a case when 2 120mm fans will move just as much if not more air than 4 80mm fans, while being much quiter, and less expensive :confused: :mad:

Why do so many cases have 80mm fans when they could have 120mm? The world may never know....
QFT, it's gradually changing over but the change needs to go faster!

synergy321 said:
atc-110>all

..execpt the tjo3 :eek: that case is just amazing.

Yes, the Silverstone TJ03>ALL. It's like a perfected ATC-110/ATC-201/Praetorian. Simple, 120 intake, 2x80 exhaust, just beautiful...

Yeah... but did you forget that the TJ-03 is FRICKIN HUGE!

If you saw it in real life you would know that the TJ-03 is in a different league. Its damn near a full size tower. God damn I love the old praetorian and wave master. Unfortunately CM is going "thermaltake" with its new designs...

TJ-03 in nowhere close to the quality of the Praetorian. Larger, sure, but it's thinner aluminum. Just doesn't have the polish that the Praetorian had (before CM junked it up).

With that said, I would recommend the TJ-03 as a classy, yet not too large EATX capable case. So.. it is a good case, but it's not really in the same class as the Praetorian, and if it was, I think the Praetorian would win hands down. I wish there were more sizes of the Praetorian like line... but now even the original is GONE!

I do like the 120mm intake on the TJ-03.

If I had the money for a TJ03, I would get one. No questions asked. It's a monstrous beast of a case.

I don't like where Coolermaster is going with the new Praetorian...and I totally agree that I wish more case makers would start using 120mm fans. At least Lian-Li seems to be going in the right direction with their new revisions of the PC6x series, but they still don't have a 120mm front, 120mm rear exhaust with removeable tray setup (I'm not fond of their new blower idea). I guess the logistics of their removeable motherboard tray just doesn't leave room for a bigger fan...looking at my PC65, I don't even see room for a 92mm fan! Then again, looking at it, the amount of blank space is perfect for a second 80mm...so I still wonder why Lian-Li didn't include one. As it is, I'm waiting for some fan wiring to get here so I can add one myself...

Back