New powersupply

StealthyFish

[H]ard|Gawd
Joined
Sep 2, 2005
Messages
1,591
Hello
I'm still learning about cmoputers and I'm wondering whether i should purchase a new powersupply. The one that i have now is a stock power supply that came with my Aspire computer case (420Watt powersupply). Should i upgrade? I heard fluctuations are bad for my computer... is there a reason why?
 
StealthyFish said:
is there a reason why?

when the electricity is outside of spec it increases the migration of metal within a circuit forming a gap that eventually kills an integrated circuit (IC)

the state of any given IC chip is often difficult to assess, it either passes a quality control test or doesn't, sometimes they just barely pass, at which point accelerated wear can lead to rapid failure, even in a pristine chip you can end up with degredation

see the ESD & Electromigration Rant
 
StealthyFish said:
Hello
I'm still learning about cmoputers and I'm wondering whether i should purchase a new powersupply. The one that i have now is a stock power supply that came with my Aspire computer case (420Watt powersupply). Should i upgrade? I heard fluctuations are bad for my computer... is there a reason why?

Most stock power supplies that came with (relatively) cheap cases are quite over-optimistic in their wattage ratings. More likely, that 420W unit performs more like a decent 300W unit. And fluctuations that are greater than the maximum legal ATX tolerance will cause instability - and sometimes a reduced usable lifespan of your components.
 
Back
Top