• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New Powersupply Reco:

Joined
Nov 6, 2004
Messages
920
So my older Neo 550 is giving up the ghost, it's not dead yet, but it's dying, and it's time to replace it. It was actually the only piece saved from my previous build, and is a few years old now.

I've been doing some looking, but I haven't found something that is modular, quiet, and within the budget yet, at least not that works with my UPS (stupid Enermax Infiniti series not working with a simulated sine ups, wtf?).

Anyways, open to suggestions, the rig is the one listed in my sig. The 260 is stock, and the 6850 is only moderately OC'd. The main goal is quiet, though a little bit of headroom would be nice. Oh, and under $100 because that is all I can manage without wife-aggro. . .
 
Last edited:
Do you have your original receipt? The Neopower line has a 5-year warranty, so chances are you could get a replacement (probably a 550W Truepower New).
 
Unknown, however, as I got it when I worked at Best Buy, there is a fairly good chance I can get the receipt anyways.

However, just adding times in my head, I would put it at 50/50 that it's probably at or over 5 years old.

And to be honest, I don't want to be without a system during a RMA situation, so I would probably want to buy a new one anyways. My old backup got put into a "recycle build" that I gave to a friend of mine (2 kids one of which was just starting school, but no computer able to run WinXp, let alone 7, and hit hard by the financial meltdown).
 
Yeah, that XFX caught my eye as well, though the fan makes me nervous.

Not over the color persay, but usually a fan that bright is also an LED fan, and while I can't find mention of it anywhere, I don't want an LED fan. The desktop is in the spare bedroom and on 24/7. One of the reasons I want quiet is to not disturb guests, and that goes double for bright green fans.

Then again, if it doesn't have an LED on it, that XFX works perfectly.

None of the others are Modular/Partially Modular, so not quite what I'm looking for.
 
My Enermax Liberty works with simulated Sinewave UPS. It makes some loud buzzing noise, and the efficiency is likely very poor. But it will let you operate and shut down.
 
Yeah, that XFX caught my eye as well, though the fan makes me nervous.

Not over the color persay, but usually a fan that bright is also an LED fan, and while I can't find mention of it anywhere, I don't want an LED fan. The desktop is in the spare bedroom and on 24/7. One of the reasons I want quiet is to not disturb guests, and that goes double for bright green fans.

Then again, if it doesn't have an LED on it, that XFX works perfectly.

None of the others are Modular/Partially Modular, so not quite what I'm looking for.
I don't believe the XFX PSU's fan has LEDs.
 
Zero: Can you tell me who in fact makes XFX's PSU? I found a review here:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/899

That's a pretty solid deal $70.00 for a modular 650 watt 52A PSU! Plus...5-Year warranty. I know Thermaltake had a sale a couple of weeks ago for the 750XT, but I have never been a Thermaltake PSU guy myself.

Any inight?

Also...Zumino: I have a 2 1/2 year old Antec Neo550HE PSU (modular) that was included in my Antec Sonata case here:

http://www.antec.com/Believe_it/product.php?id=MjE=

That does come with a 5-Year warranty. Do you have the Antec Neo 550 that modular? If so...Mail that back & score a new PSU for back-up! You might as well!
 
Last edited:
Zumino: I'm not sure if it is in fact a Seasonic build. Looks like from this review the XFX was using some PC Power & Cooling parts here:

http://www.hardwaresecrets.com/article/899/2

Wait until Zero replies. He know his stuff!!!

BTW...Did you find your receipt? Send that Antec Neo 550 back & get a new PSU!
 
Last edited:
XFX PSUs are manufactured by Seasonic. The 850W model is a modified single-rail version of the M12D platform, and the 650W model uses the M12 platform (the PCBs are in fact recycled PC Power & Cooling Silencer boards).
Looks like from this review the XFX was using some PC Power & Cooling parts here:
"PC Power & Cooling parts" are Seasonic parts.
 
Back
Top