New Power Tools For Me.

JeffB

Limp Gawd
I'm restocking on power tools because my dad's are extremely outdated. And not only that, but you can never have too many tools.

So I'm looking into a Random Orbital Sander and an Airbrush (kit?). My grandpa has a Dremel so I'm all set with that.

Any recommendations and additions will be of much help to me.

Thanks,
Jeff

By the way, these will be primarily used for case modding and random jobs around my house.

stick with good quality brand names for your sander. Dewalt, Porter-Cable, Milwaukee, Hitachi, Makita.
Stay away from Black & Decker, Skil, Craftsman, Ryobi. The better quality ones will only cost a few more dollars than the cheapies. Oh and variable speed is always nice.

GJSNeptune said:
Stay away from Craftsman? You're kidding, right?

News to me. The only thing I've ever found lacking in Craftsman is their socket rachets. Most of my tools are Craftsman, but for power tools I prefer Dewalt.

When it comes to hand tools no prob, they got that killer life time warranty. Unless I lose it, i have the last tape measure I will ever buy.
1. Many of craftsman's power tools are my by ryobi, which is a really.. really crappy tool company.

2. If you read as many tool reviews as I do you soon start seeing what I see. Craftsman tools are priced just as high or higher as many good quality power tools, but don't have as many good features. My father-in-law is one of those that insists on buying craftsman, and from using them I just have not been impressed with what they have to offer.

^^ Thats why we have a dewalt circular saw. Dewalt had the electric brake (stops the blade quickly after you shut off the saw instead of letting it coast down), the Craftsman did not.

I second the statement to stay away from Ryobi.
We bought a semi-weak one, I think 9.6v. But it can't even drill into wood with a 1/8" bit unless you go SO slow it takes literally 5-10 minutes to drill 2 inches. :confused:

Sorry to post whore, but let me give you an example B&D 24v cordless drill has less torque, than a dewalt 12v, the batteries on the dewalt last 2-3 times longer, and the 12v dewalt weighs TONS less. Oh yeah did I mention that they were the same price?
Which would you buy?

Not to hijack, but what about Firestorm brand? I'm looking for a plunge router and I saw them at Lowe's....

Firestorm is black & decker, its just a title they have given some of their tools. Only problem with that router is that it will only accept 1/4" shank bits. No point in having to buy a 2hp router that will only take the smaller bits. If you really must buy a cheaper one, look at the skil, I belive it will accept 1/4" and 1/2" shank bits. But I would seriously consider either the milwaukee, porter-cable or hitachi, most of the lowes stores carry those, and they will run you a little over $100.00

RAA-Kr1cH said:
stick with good quality brand names for your sander. Dewalt, Porter-Cable, Milwaukee, Hitachi, Makita.
Stay away from Black & Decker, Skil, Craftsman, Ryobi. The better quality ones will only cost a few more dollars than the cheapies. Oh and variable speed is always nice.
Funny how most of your top rated brands are used by sears and rebranded in the Craftsman name. I know most Ryobi's are either rebranded higher end stuff or the other way around where the big brands use Ryobi and slap their name on it. Also if your buying these tools for modding and dont plan on doing major repairs, your own home improvement e.t.c. I would actually say get the cheaper brands. Why waste $200 or more on a high end drill\sander\saw when a $40 unit will cut through a thin case just the same.

UPDATE 60 seconds later and I caught my god damn puppy chewing on some shanks and bits I dropped while organizing this place. WATCH YOUR SHIT!!!

All I am trying to say is you get what you pay for. If you can get a much higher quality product for a small increase in dough why not? Also as competitive as most tool companies are, you could buy last years model on clearance. save some dough, and get a good tool.

It is a proven fact that cheap tools cost more than expensive ones

Alright, that still leaves me with the need for an airbrush.

Should I get one that I can attach to a compressor? Or get one of those crazy kits with the mini compressor?

Jeff

JeffB said:
Alright, that still leaves me with the need for an airbrush.

Should I get one that I can attach to a compressor? Or get one of those crazy kits with the mini compressor?

Jeff
Paasche, with a compressor.

Definitely compressor based, and make sure you get a water filter. There's ALWAYS water in the lines. Best money you can spend to protect your investment.

Wait, I'm an idiot. Is this airbrush running from a big compressor? Or from one of the small ones that come with it?

Jeff

Back