• A Great friend to the HardForum with a great kid that he is trying to get a scholorship to continue his schooling. Please give hime a vote! Only 24 hours left! Thanks.
    If you have an VOTE FOR KEENAN!

New Pimeta headamp action

GodsMadClown

2[H]4U
Joined
Aug 9, 2002
Messages
3,112
A certain trained monkey, after sufficient inducement with fruits of various kinds, has built me a Pimeta headamp. Needless to say, I am quite enjoying the added detail and depth of sound that results. Currently it's plugged into my Revo, with the soundcard main volume set at half volume.

While I feel that this level is satisfactory with my Revo, I'm less confident with the onboard Intel sound at work. What is a good procedure for determining levels for the soundcard?
 
You can not post a thread like this without amp pron damn it. :D

HPIM0621.JPG


HPIM0618.JPG


inside.JPG



What is a good procedure for determining levels for the soundcard?
Listening to it usally helps. :D

Give it about two weeks for the resistors to smooth out.
They tend to have a pretty harsh sound when they are new.

Edit: BTW, How long did the green led last? ;)
 
Is that why there is a red LED included w/ the package? I figured such things about some sort of break-in. I've been running it at listening levels since I got it in the mail yesterday morning. Is there anything in particular I should listen for?
 
Is there anything in particular I should listen for?
Nope.
Just enjoy what you're listening to and dont listen to the amp. Before you know it the sound will be even more detailed and balanced... if you can imagine that. :)

The red LED was kind of a joke.
A 12 cent joke. :D
 
A man of such cheap and base humor. It's a good thing that you are skilled w/ a soldering iron...
 
Originally posted by GodsMadClown
A man of such cheap and base humor. It's a good thing that you are skilled w/ a soldering iron...
When I asked him to send me something to hold the LED in place for the amp, he sent me A BAG of rubberbands... :rolleyes:
 
Originally posted by Irons82
When I asked him to send me something to hold the LED in place for the amp, he sent me A BAG of rubberbands... :rolleyes:

At least he didn't send a roll of duct tape...

That amp looks very nice, though it's kind of funny to see all the open space inside the case that's NOT being taken up by the board. You could probably fit a complete second amp in there if you tried! :D
 
Originally posted by Elec
At least he didn't send a roll of duct tape...

That amp looks very nice, though it's kind of funny to see all the open space inside the case that's NOT being taken up by the board. You could probably fit a complete second amp in there if you tried! :D

or you could just get a portable amp.....

2.JPG

1.JPG


:D


X86, you didnt take those pictures, did you? They actually look good ;)
 
Originally posted by zachary80
X86, you didnt take those pictures, did you? They actually look good ;) [/B]

High quality amp pr0n like that? Of course he didn't. :D
 
Originally posted by Irons82
When I asked him to send me something to hold the LED in place for the amp, he sent me A BAG of rubberbands... :rolleyes:

Umm, yea. :rolleyes:
The rubber bands were for the cable.
The envelope also contained two vinyl led holders.
I suggest you check the contents of that envelope again before you make any more ignorant claims about what I did and did not send you. :(


X86, you didnt take those pictures, did you? They actually look good

Umm, yes I did.
Setting the camera down helps a bunch. :)
 
Originally posted by X86Dude
Umm, yea. :rolleyes:
The rubber bands were for the cable.
The envelope also contained two vinyl led holders.
I suggest you check the contents of that envelope again before you make any more ignorant claims about what I did and did not send you. :(
lol, settle down. I know what you sent me. It's just funny the way I put it :D
 
You can not post a thread like this without amp pron damn it.
Whooooohooo!!!

Hot Hot Hot NAKED AMP ACTION!!!!!!

Look at those resistors! Check out that colored wiring!
DAMN look at them plugs! :D
 
lol
luek, you missed all of the things that make Audiophilles go ahhh.
Neutrik jack. Check
Silver plated Teflon coated wire. Check
Cerafine caps. Check.
Vishay Dale resistors. Check
Socketed opamps. Check
WBT Silver solder. Check


Ohh, that was a lot of ahhhs. :D



Originally posted by Irons82
lol, settle down. I know what you sent me. It's just funny the way I put it

How is that funny?
You are saying I left parts out of the package that we both know I shipped.
I dont get it. :mad:
 
Originally posted by fool_10
Awesome work. Why the limited use of screws on the case?

-fool

That's where those rubber band comes in. HAH
 
Hehe, X86, you've got quite the temper I'm beginning to find out.....a simple joke about some rubberbands and the word "ignorant" gets tossed around like last nights dinner after a party that got started WAY too early....
 
He thought that aspersions were being cast on his record of delivering goods paid for. That's potentially hitting him in the pocketbook. Notice that I joked about hi personal sense of humor, but not about the skill/professionalism of the goods/service being offered.
 
wow so there was some pimeta action here also
someone talked me into grado sr80s yesterday, and now i'm looking into pimetas, spent several hours reading up on the schematics and stuff.
 
Originally posted by Zemo
Hehe, X86, you've got quite the temper I'm beginning to find out.....a simple joke about some rubberbands and the word "ignorant" gets tossed around like last nights dinner after a party that got started WAY too early....

Temper, he does have. You don't go to him to make friends...though I do consider him a friend. You go to him to get some of the best headphone amps available. Talk to him enough and you'll find his vagueness to get the best of you. Eh, and you may also pick up his bad spelling habits.

Did I mention he makes kick ass amps? :D I deal with him quite a lot. I find that he makes the best DIY amps. Don't let that DIY scare you. A lot of hi-fi audio gear is DIY.
 
Oh, don't you worry, I'm very familiar with X86's habits, AND his build quality...simply amazing. He is by far the best amp builder that I know of. And yeah, I do know what I'm talking about....I build amps too! You can see some of my work at http://oregonstate.edu/~moritaty/Amp Pics/ the one in the "MINE!" folder was built by the amp jedi X86. The rest were built by myself.
 
Just a couple of Picts for those that care.
FYI I had to ruin one of them to keep a certain forum member from stealing it and putting it on his site. :(


ufokillerz:

HPIM0797.JPG




Hark, see if you can figure what was added to that wanna be bass head amp that makes it a real bass head amp. :D
HPIM0813.JPG
 
You mean besides my Wimas?

That's gonna take me some time. I'm gonna have lunch and come back to you on that one. Is that my amp btw in the second pict?
 
Yes, that is your amp.
No, I was not talking about the 40$ worth of Wimas.



The square blue box caps,the resistors next to them, and the pc style jumpers are the new additions.
I will leave it up to you to figure out what they are there for. :D




And yes... I did straighten the Wimas out before I shipped it.
 
I thought those blue things were different.... I just didn't justify it since I didn't have a picture of my pcb before I shipped it.

'Course you don't believe me.
 
Talk to him enough and you'll find his vagueness to get the best of you.


Be carefull what you say..... it may come back to haunt you. :D

lol

Anyhow ... those 6 new components make up a shelving filter witch gives you 6 dB of bass boost.
You now have the bassiest headphone system known to exist anywhere on the planet. :D
 
Originally posted by X86Dude
Be carefull what you say..... it may come back to haunt you. :D

lol

Anyhow ... those 6 new components make up a shelving filter witch gives you 6 dB of bass boost.
You now have the bassiest headphone system known to exist anywhere on the planet. :D

That thing is gonna rattle my brain. :eek:
 
AudioHQ bass boost + PPA "shelving filter" bass boost at 6 dB + Beyerdynamic DT 770 non/pro = :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: ...followed by a :D
 
Anyhow ... those 6 new components make up a shelving filter witch gives you 6 dB of bass boost.

Only 6dB? Shameful!
Why, at least a 9dB boost (at ~90dB absolute) will be required to rattle fillings out of teeth. :D
 
lol

Normally I socket the components that make up the bass boost so the user can tweak it.... The max is somewhere around 22dB. Hark is worried about over excursion destroying his cans so I figured a fixed setting of 6dB would be best for him. :D


Besides he may enjoy being able hear latter on in his life :)
 
Back
Top