• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New PhysX drivers available (2.4.4)

MrNasty

Limp Gawd
Joined
Apr 11, 2006
Messages
221
Get yours here :)

Changes In 2.4.4

* Misc. application-specific optimizations included for City Of Villains™ (GRAW Enhancements are also included)
* Misc. technical bug fixes & enhancements


Well they're doing well on driver updates so far - I make it to be around 1.5 per month. Always a good thing to know a hardware company's trying to improve stuff. :)

Edit: For those that don't like the whole systemtray icon thing, simply uncheck the systray icon box during install - this will just install the .dll's and you won't have anything running in the background until you start a PhysX game.
 
I hope someone from Ageia sees my complaining. Because right now my physx card is just sitting in my machine doing absolutely nothing.
 
Kritter said:
I hope someone from Ageia sees my complaining. Because right now my physx card is just sitting in my machine doing absolutely nothing.

Why on earth would you buy a product before checking whether or not your OS supported it?
 
Well, two things. When the card first came out the drivers page said Windows XP (All Versions) with no x64 disclaimer. Which lead me to believe x64 is included in the list. There was no indication it would work on x64 by users for about a week after it came out.

Second, I have WinXP Home. But it's just a pain in the ass to stop all I'm doing in x64 to boot x86 and play cell factor.
 
From what I've seen a few more particles and lower FPS - I'm not quite sure why anyone would be happy with a Physix card right now?
 
dnottis said:
From what I've seen a few more particles and lower FPS - I'm not quite sure why anyone would be happy with a Physix card right now?

You must be talking before driver version 2.4.4...

Terra - /Sing "Living in the past..."
 
dnottis said:
From what I've seen a few more particles and lower FPS - I'm not quite sure why anyone would be happy with a Physix card right now?

Having dedicated and specialized hardware is almost always better than doing something in software. Gee... isn't this what was predicted ages ago... a multitude of specialized, powerful processors instead of one super powerful processor to do everything?

Seems to be the trend nowadays to have specialized hardware and/or multiple cores for a given task. Just look at the Cell processor - multiple specialized cores...

1) Multiple core CPUs. Right now, we have dual core. Soon we will be at quad core... (Mmmmmm sweet sweet candy. Gummy venus de milo...)
2) Audio processors, Video Processors, General Purpose processors, Encoding/Decoding processors, processors to do I/O like SCSI or SATA, etc etc.

The point is that parallelism (at least for the moment) is the trend. We have not yet exhausted the manufacturing technologies that allow us to push a single processor to ever dizzying heights of performance, but we're pretty close - just look at Prescott. Even Intel, king-of-lithography-high-k-strained-silicon-etc couldn't push the Prescott much further. (At least not yet.)

Parallel processing has been predicted to be the future of computing, but some people continue to resist.

Parallelism aside, (I admit my depth of knowledge about ATI's and Nvidia's physics solutions is extraordinarily limited), ATI and Nvidia are proposing what seem to be band-aid solutions that don't really address the need to offload physics calculations from existing hardware.
 
Back
Top