New phone system - help setting up switches

Thall860

Weaksauce
I just purchased a new phone system for a building we are moving into mid-July. I went with a Mitel 5000 VoIP. We will have about 22 phones all off of one PoE switch.

The question I have is can anyone point me to some good material on VLANs and QoS? I can not really find anything worth while on google.

I also have a few questions - I will be using a symbol ES3000 PoE switch, I have a Linksys SRW2048 switch and I am looking at a Cisco small business 8 port managed for my AP's.

How do I set up the VLANs and QoS? Do I chose VLANs and set them the same on all devices? I want to make a guest VLAN for the wireless too, the AP is capable does that push all the way through the switches too?

Never heard of the symbol switch. Also not sure I would use any of the other switches mentioned either.

I would have to say as part of your install you should look at switch upgrades too. HP or Dell Switches can be had for decent prices these days.

Also look at a layer 3 switch to route vlans especially if your going to be using the pass through ports of the phones.

As for the vlans and QOS we just chose a vlan for our internal traffic (IE Desktops, Laptops, Printers) as vlan 100, I then chose vlan 110 for my voice. As long as those are setup throughout all of the switches you should be fine. I don't know about Mitel, but I know the Shortel Phones use DSCP markings for QOS. It was a pretty simple setup in the dell switches for those. Your VOIP Providor who sold you the Mitel should also be able to help you get QOS setup and functioning as well.

I will not be using the pass through on the phones for the PC's. They will be wired to separate switches. The PBX/Phone switch will need to connect to the PC switch to allow for desktop tools like click to dial.

Is there any info out there to learn more about this stuff?

I will not be using the pass through on the phones for the PC's. They will be wired to separate switches. The PBX/Phone switch will need to connect to the PC switch to allow for desktop tools like click to dial.

Is there any info out there to learn more about this stuff?

Why not user the pass rough port on the phones then ? Saves time and wiring...

Why not user the pass rough port on the phones then ? Saves time and wiring...

No Kidding..

Sounds like you will need a l3 switch capable of vlan routing, router or a stick, or something with your firewall to get what you need. I personally would opt for the layer 3 switch honestly.

I don't know whats out there persay for learning this stuff, but your voice vendor / Mitel should have documentation on what they recommend you setup

Back