new phenom 2 X4 920 stock cpu fan running at 5500 rpms is kinda loud.......

tgg

[H]ard|Gawd
I just installed a new Asus motherbaord and a new phenom 2 X4 920 2.8ghz cpu with the stock heatpipe cooler it came with and its kind of more bothersome from the cpu fan noise because its running sounds and looks lie full speed constant at 5500 rpm's. Anyone know how to lower the speed if not what aftermarket heatsink and fan will run slower and quiter?

BTW the temp of the cpu are CPU is 45C, CPU #1/Core #1 is 44C so is #2, #3, and #4

Thanks

I know I know my idle temps might be high because first of all I dont have any inside case fans so thats mostly why plus of course the 8800 GTS 640mb geforce card runs hot to. But I dont overclock anyways, never have so I should be ok I just want a quiter cpu fan.

Make sure Cool n Quiet is on in the BIOS. If this is an AM3 board (DDR3) then you can expect some BIOS problems for a while. The best solution is to ditch the fan altogether and water cool. :D

Make sure Cool n Quiet is on in the BIOS. If this is an AM3 board (DDR3) then you can expect some BIOS problems for a while. The best solution is to ditch the fan altogether and water cool. :D

The Phenom 2 920 is an AM2+ CPU and will not work in a AM3 motherboard since there is no on chip ddr3 memory controller. Also the AM3 socket is missing two pins so it would not even fit.

I also wouldn't recommend water cooling to someone that does not have any fans in their case at all. You still need airflow to keep your rads cool.

OP, your CPU fan is spinning high because you have no case fans. Get a couple good quality semi silent ball bearing fans to intake fresh air and exhaust hot air out of your system and I'm pretty sure your CPU heatsink will quiet down significantly. Also excess heat can lead to premature component failure, I bet the inside of the case gets stagnant when your gaming. I'd also be surprised if you weren't getting crashes very often during high loads. If you need help deciding on a fan provide what type of case your using and it will be easier to point you towards suggestions.

I totally agree with acidex about the case fans. I have some low dba high quality fans and my case stays nice and cool and quiet

Whats interesting is recently before deciding on this phenom 2 x4 920 I tried a amd dual core 6000+ 3.1ghz the new black edition one and it actually came with the same or similair heat pipe heatsink that came with the phenom 2 x4 920 and it also ran full speed at 5500 rpms.

Ok now last night waht I did is took out the stock heatsink from the phenom 2 and installed a cooler master aluminum heatsink/fan to the new phenom and so far its running quieter and running at 2500 rpms and its idling at the same temp as the heatpipe one. BUT I havent tested a game like crysis warhead so I'll find out if its going to keep it cool enough Ill report here soon.

I'd think the stock copper heatsink from AMD would be better than the aluminum one.

How are you monitoring your temperatures? Get Speed Fan and give it a try.You should be able to see your temperature in that.

If your idling at 45C with the stock cooler and the Cooler Master I'd hate to see your temps in the summer time! For the love of all that is [H]ard get some fans! :p

With descent airflow there's no reason that your CPU shouldn't be able to idle around 35C or so. Also the 8800 is a pretty hot card as it is, so all your processor does is spin hot air around your case. If you think that your idle temperature is high, you should seriously check your load temp! :eek:

Lack of overclocking does not mean that PC parts are invincible. Most are all meant to operate within a reliable temperature threshold, have very specific power requirements among all sorts of other things that could go wrong. If you haven't noticed they are even sensitive to Electo-Static Discharge, pretty much just delicate in general. So when you exceed one of its weaknesses it makes the others that much more vulnerable. Especially heat, or even worse bad power. Hell when one of my air conditioners in the server room I work in dies we're screwed if it takes very long to fix. If it gets more than 75F all hell breaks loose with servers crashing all over the place.

But whateva, just my two cents.

Back