New PCPC TurboCool860 - perfect, except for one hugh problem>

grdh20

Gawd
http://www.hardocp.com/news.html?news=Mjk3NTgsLCxoZW50aHVzaWFzdCwsLDE=

IT"S STILL TOO DARN LOUD!!!!! The turboCool 860 with adjustable rails, 94% efficiency and a beefy single power source sounds like heaven to me until you notice the fact that they are still using the same old noisy fan that in today's world is a deal breaker for me and I would assume many others. I wonder how this can me modded out somehow without overheating the device. If only they had used a 120mm or 140mm quiet fan or fans like almost everyone else is now. I was a hugh PCPC fan, (pardon the pun), but I can't take the noise anymore. :mad:

I missed where they said it was being rated at 94% efficiency in the release. Where do you see that at? Edit: It does say ultra-high efficiency but that is kind of subjective.

As for the fan you can do relatively quiet 80mm fans and this looks like a new design for Win-tact so it could be quieter than the older Turbo-Cool's with the 3 blade Delta fans. We will just have to see once they are out and about for review how well the new design works.

You typoed. It's not 94% efficiency.

It says 84% typical on the spec page.

I love the mention of the adjustable POTs. Like you need that in a proper PSU with good regulation. I'm sure we'll see WHY we need this feature pop up in PSU Myths... EXPOSED!!! :D

I also love how they point out that the unit is rated at 50°C and then provide MTBF at 25°C w/o the fan. Not that there's anything wrong with that because that's what most do. It's the fact that they don't mention the temp the MTBF is at. 200K hours is NOT at 50°C. I guarantee that.

It's not rated at 50c. It says there that it's 40c.

Slipping a bit, I see.

Actually, it says 40°C on the press release. In two places on the website it says 50°C and in a third place it says 40°C again. So apparently not even OCZ/PC Power knows what temperature this unit is rated at.

Most likely 50C. I think the Silencers are rated at 40C from what I remember.

All Turbo-cools are known to be rated at 50C.
here you go :

It probably is but the literature is mixed:

OCZ Unveils the New PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 860 Watt, an Ultra-Reliable Server-Class PSU Designed for a Wide Range of Applications Including Commercial, Industrial, and Gaming
2007-12-18

Sunnyvale, Calif.—December 18, 2007—OCZ Technology Group, a worldwide leader in innovative, ultra-high performance and high reliability memory and PC components, today unveiled the new Turbo-Cool 860 power supply from PC Power & Cooling. Built for absolute stability and reliability, the Turbo-Cool 860 features adjustable rails, ultra-high efficiency, and a lifespan at least twice the industry standard. NVIDIA® SLI™ certified to the highest level, the heavy-duty Turbo-Cool 860 is the ultimate power solution for today’s mission-critical and high-end gaming systems.

Continuing a long history of technical innovation and industry leadership, PC Power & Cooling has designed the Turbo-Cool 860 for optimum power distribution to all components by utilizing their customary "single +12V rail" design. Rated at 64 Amps continuous, this trail-blazing approach to +12V rail design ends the need to budget power "across the rails" as is the case with the less effective multi-rail design found in the vast majority of PSUs on the market today.

Each Turbo-Cool 860 allows the end-user to safely fine-tune the unit’s independently adjustable power rails (+3V and +5V) via two externally accessible pots. In the hands of an experienced user, the +12V rail can be externally fine-tuned as well. Unlike conventional industrial-grade power supplies, the Turbo-Cool 860’s form factor is standard ATX so it will fit all PC towers and cases.

With a history of over 20 years building long-lasting, investment-grade PSUs, PC Power built the Turbo-Cool 860 using the highest quality components and circuitry to provide the highest MTBF rating on the market. Rated at full load, 40C, the 860 features a 200,000 hour MTBF, a lifespan at least double the industry norm.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/aboutocz/press/2007/261

(full load, 40C)

http://www.pcpower.com/downloads/SpecSheet_3852.pdf

It never claimed to be a QUIET power supply. Wasn't the name enough of a hint: "TURBOCOOL" when their other line is "Silencer"?

The only thing you can do is replace the fan in the power supply with a slower turning, quieter fan. Which of course will void the warranty. If you don't intend to run the power supply at full load, then the lower flowing fan will probably won't be much of a problem... but why don't just just buy a quieter power supply?

If you can live with a 750W power supply, why don't you buy the PCP&C Silencer 750 Quad instead, which isn't really silent, just not as loud as their Turbocool series. Or if you have 120/140mm fan envy, purchase one of the Corsair TX750W's with 140mm fans.

You'd think with the popularity of the Silencer series that they'd have put this new model in a long body like the Silencer and quieted it down a bit. That would have gotten a lot more attention than they are going to get with a noisemaker. Meanwhile they compete with the Galaxy which isn't quite as good spec wise, but far quieter.

Well, there's a lot more than the "Galaxy" that competes with this thing that are quieter, and a lot of those are a lot better spec wise, quality wise, etc.

I now have 4 PC Power & Cooling PSU`s.
I do not find them loud at all!!
But mind you I do understand those who do find them loud!
Personally I can over look loud for peace of mind and solid workmanship!!

Merry Christmas!!

Is it manufactured by Seasonic? If so, that might be the reason why the suspected rating is 40C.

Honestly, I don't understand why people complain that Turbocool PSU's are loud I have been running a 510W Turbocool for 2 years now, and it is not loud. I also just upgraded to a Silencer (which has yet to be installed) so I'll let you know if I see a huge difference. Anyway, I have a several 120mm PSU's running in the apartment and I don't find them any quieter than my Turbocool.

Is it manufactured by Seasonic? If so, that might be the reason why the suspected rating is 40C.

No its still Win-tact from the looks of the unit I have and the pictures online of the guts look just like a Win-tact.

Honestly, I don't understand why people complain that Turbocool PSU's are loud I have been running a 510W Turbocool for 2 years now, and it is not loud. I also just upgraded to a Silencer (which has yet to be installed) so I'll let you know if I see a huge difference. Anyway, I have a several 120mm PSU's running in the apartment and I don't find them any quieter than my Turbocool.

I would suspect you either a) have a very low draw system or b) a very loud system. Those three bladed Delta's are loud and and on the 1KW it was able to overpower the SM-8800 and the SM-8800 is loud by an standard.

Actually I was running the system in my sig on a 510W Turbocool SLi PSU, and it was not loud. I have yet to install the silencer (once my copy of Vista, my 780i SLI mboard, and my 250gig hdd get here) I'll let you know if I notice a huge difference in sound output. But in all honesty I really do not find the turbocool loud, and I know that he system I am running is by no means a low draw system. Also, I don't consider my computer to be "loud" it's not silent, but it also doesn't sound like a jet engine. Personally I believe that people's perception on what is loud is just different for everyone.

Have the 510 and quiet its not. 80 fans ftl. But my 510 is as old as the hills and has been in 4 systems. Got a Corsair 550 for new build and can't hear it over the 510 in rig behind me.

I owned a 750 Silencer and found it to be pretty quiet. I guess the extended PSU chassis did the trick. My 510 SLi was crazily loud under load though!!

I owned a 750 Silencer and found it to be pretty quiet. I guess the extended PSU chassis did the trick. My 510 SLi was crazily loud under load though!!

Well not really the extended chassis is of only marginal help when comparing to things in the Turbo-Cool line like the 3 bladed Delta fan, the lower efficiency, the obstructed airflow, etc. As it si the 750 still sin't nearly as quiet as other power supplies of its capacity, it is only quieter compared to the Turbo-cool.

Back