Gawd
Xigmatek 650w
Intel i7 920 @ 2.66
6GB Gskill DDR3
EVGA X58 mb
EVGA GTX285
Vista Basic 64bit

I just put this rig together. I think there is a problem with my graphics card
because of the way everything is running. Fallout 3 doesn't run smoothly even on
all low settings.

Even browsing the internet/minimizing and maximizing pages is stuttered and
awkward. I know it's not running how it should.

I have the latest 64bit drivers from the Nvidia website. The graphics card is
fully and snuggly inserted and is recognized by the device manager as working.

Any suggestions as to what may be wrong will be greatly appreciated.

Have you tried running any benchmarks?

I would try formatting or another HD with a pre-installed OS to see if that helps.

Have you tried running any benchmarks?

I would try formatting or another HD with a pre-installed OS to see if that helps.

Ive tried running EVGA precision and all of the clock speeds seem to be fine while running fallout. I was thinking of formatting but didn't know if it would help. I'll Try it.

Reinstall your drivers.

Yeah, I tried that about 3 times. No change.

You've used driver cleaners and such too? The times I've had similar symptoms( sluggish desktop windows etc. ) it's always been fixed by doing a full driver sweep and reinstalling them.

So you just built that whole new PC, did you do a complete reformat and reinstall of Windows? If yes, did you install your motherboard/chipset drivers first, followed by your graphics drivers, then all others?

If you didnt use a clean install of the OS, that is your problem.

Honestly I would have to agree with Raap...I've had the same issue before and it turned out to be a driver issue..

i just did a clean reformat of vista, installed the chipset drivers, then installed the graphics card drivers, and i am still experiencing the same problems. anymore ideas?

Well, that is odd. Have you updated your MB bios? Maybe also try installing an older driver version( those that followed with the card perhaps? ).

I think it's the mobo. I say this because I had an EVGA X58 board with the exact same problem.. like they had a bad run of motherboards or something.

Basically even minimizing/maximizing would result in flickering and a "wipe" effect where the window doesnt just minimize, it would like wipe downwards slowly just updating the screen very slowly in general. Latest BIOS didn't fix it... something was wrong with it and I got it RMA'ed. The replacement worked fine.

I also had 3 others I bought which worked fine from the get-go, so go figure.

I think it's the mobo. I say this because I had an EVGA X58 board with the exact same problem.. like they had a bad run of motherboards or something.

Basically even minimizing/maximizing would result in flickering and a "wipe" effect where the window doesnt just minimize, it would like wipe downwards slowly just updating the screen very slowly in general. Latest BIOS didn't fix it... something was wrong with it and I got it RMA'ed. The replacement worked fine.

I also had 3 others I bought which worked fine from the get-go, so go figure.

Thanks for your response. Mine is similar to what you explaining, but not AS bad... Mine just runs sluggish in general. It doesn't do the slow wipe effect you are talking about. It more so "flickers" extremely fast when minimizing/maximizing. Its better than it is before I install the drivers, but it runs worse than my old pc from around 5 years ago. Do you think I should still RMA it in case it is just a bad mobo?

I hate problems like this. On my old comp this shit used to happen where the movement of the mouse pointer would stutter like every 4 seconds or so...got real annoying. Took me forever to find out why. Turned out to be the harddrive. Just something that made it tick. Beatcity.

You might want to install the GPU in the second PCI-e slot......

That would be the second PCI-e X16 slot down from the top of the board......

I can't guarantee anything, but if the MB has a bad slot, at least you'd know.
If the GPU is factory OC'd you can try to down clock it with EVGA precision and see if that helps.

I feel your pain.....it seems like the EVGA X58 boards have a very high failure rate. A lot of people have had to RMA their first board.....me included. Mine was just plain DOA right out of the box.
I returned the first to the etailer for a refund and bought another one, rather than using RMA. My second one has been very good.
Anyway.....looks like you've done all the right things.....maybe the video card is bad???? Do you have another GPU you can try in the board?? just for grins. I'm assuming you checked out your RAM.

If that is a no go, then it's most likely the MB.

If it is a brand new windows install, it could be all the initial housekeeping that is occupying the disc and dragging everything down. Maybe it needs a few hours/days to settle in and set up house so-to-speak.

Could be.. just my thought.

reformat, after you get to the desktop, install the latest drivers for the 64 bit chipset first. then the lastest nvidia lastest drivers for the GTX 200 models

reformat, after you get to the desktop, install the latest drivers for the 64 bit chipset first. then the lastest nvidia lastest drivers for the GTX 200 models

Thats exactly what I did two times after the initial vista installation... I thought it was a driver issue until a few people suggested it was the mobo. I am shipping it back to newegg tomorrow. We'll see in a few days if that was the problem I guess.

It's drivers, most likely not mobo. When my 4850x2 drivers weren't taking those were same symptoms.

It's drivers, most likely not mobo. When my 4850x2 drivers weren't taking those were same symptoms.

What ended up being the problem then? Because it made sense to me that after three reformats it would have worked. I think I have a fairly common setup and it seems that many other people don't have these issues with the exact same hardware.

Can't offer an explanation, I never did get the 4850x2 drivers to install right after about 25-30 hours tweaking i returned it this is when it was new; now i'm waiting till june or so to upgrade so i'll have xmas money (with interest from parents) and bday money : D close to 8bills probably to spend. Hope you the best of luck op.

This is clearly a hardware issue, since reformatting doesn't fix it, and plenty of other people run on the exact same config without issues with all sorts of recent drivers.

It's either a bad graphics card or a bad motherboard.

Do you have any spare hardware to swap out? Try a different graphics card and try a different PSU if you can.

Back