New PC - weird issue

Kibanu

n00b
Hey all, a friend of mine pointed me to this forum so hopefully I can get some tips.

I just bought the following parts and assembled them ( SSDs are coming in today, so haven't installed OS yet ).

2 x 250GB SSD SAMSUNG 840 EVO MZ-7TE250BW 2.5" SATA ( will be striped ) - Primary drive
2 x 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200 RPM STBD3000100 ( will be mirrored ) - Storage drive
Intel Core i7-4770K Haswell 3.5GHz LGA 1150 84W Quad-Core Desktop Processor Intel HD Graphics BX80646I74770K
G.SKILL Trident X Series 32GB (4 x 8GB) 240-Pin DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1866 (PC3 14900) Desktop Memory Model F3-1866C8Q-32GTX
SeaSonic Platinum-1000 1000W ATX12V / EPS12V 80 PLUS PLATINUM Certified Full Modular Power Supply New 4th Gen CPU Certified ...
EVGA Z87 FTW (141-HW-E877-KR) LGA 1150 HDMI SATA 6Gb/s USB 3.0 ATX Intel Motherboard
EVGA ACX Cooler 03G-P4-2784-KR GeForce GTX 780 3GB 384-Bit GDDR5 PCI Express 3.0 SLI Support Video Card
CORSAIR Hydro Series H100i Extreme Performance Water/Liquid CPU Cooler. 240mm
5 x Noctua NF-F12 PWM 120mm Case Fan ( replaced every fan w/ these )
SAMSUNG Black SATA DVD-ROM Drive Model SH-118BB

Here's the problem. I plug it in and hit the power button. The fans kick on for 1/4 of a second and then everything stops. The red light on motherboard is still on, but nothing is running. Repeated power button presses do absolutely nothing. Here's the twist... if I then hit the Reset CMOS button 2-3 times in rapid succession (about 1/4 second between presses), it will start up. It's almost like it kick-starts the "motor" of the PSU. So.... here's the question... what the heck is wrong? hah. I have checked every connection multiple times. This is far from my first build... I've been building PCs for years without issues.

Is it my PSU? I don't have any spare parts to test with right now, unfortunately.

Please help.

- Kibanu

Sounds like you have a short somewhere. Make sure everything is properly plugged in (including ram and gpu correctly seated) and that you didn't drop a screw behind the mobo or something. You can then test the psu (paperclip test), if it still doesn't work the mobo maybe DOA.

If I had a short, then wouldn't it not power up w/ the reset CMOS trick? Honest question.

Remove your motherboard and make sure you didn't install an extra standoff. If you have an extra installed, it is most likely shorting something out.

I just pulled the motherboard out and checked the standoffs.... no issues. Only have the ones that connect to the holes in motherboard for screws. I double and triple checked every connection / wire / bit of metal... no chance of a short.

I just did the paperclip test, and the PSU just clicks every time the connection is made. So, bad PSU?

Okay, got a new one ordered and picking it up today hopefully. Will update thread as soon as I can.

Back