• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New PC shutting down during boot up

Igottabull

n00b
Joined
Jan 29, 2002
Messages
19
I recently purchased some new parts and I am having problems with the system stability. I bought an Antec TP2550 power supply, an Abit AL8V MB, and a P4 630. Every time I try to boot it up, it begins the boot up procedure and then shuts itself off after a few seconds. It's not hanging on any one certain part of the boot procedure, because I've had it happen at a few different points. I can't seem to figure out what's causing it.

I'm thinking something is wrong with the motherboard. It can't possibly be overheating and shutting itself down that quickly, although at one point I was able to get into the temperature monitoring before it shut itself down and the cpu was running slightly high, but nothing too serious.

Any ideas? I'm stuck and going nuts without a pc. Thanks for any help or suggestions.


edit: Sorry, forgot to add that I have 2 512 mb kingston ddr2 667 sticks if it could be a problem with memory.
 
Don't be so sure that its not an overheating problem. I recall reading about someone experimenting with non-conductive coolants and the behavior you describe is quite similar to what he described before he had sorted out the rig. (He found that initially he was not properly moving the coolant over the cpu.) If I were you, I'd check to make sure that the cpu fan is running. If it is, you may want to check its exhaust by simply putting your hand in it. It should be quite warm, not slightly warm, within a few seconds of power-up.
 
Back
Top