• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New PC reboots for no reason

Dallows

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Jun 18, 2004
Messages
6,816
so yeah, this new pc I put together just reboots for no apparent reason, none that I can see at least. I dunno if it's overheating, temps after reboot where 44C for cpu and about 30 for the MB, that's not bad right? Specs are as follows:

AMD64 3000+ Winchester
Asus A8V Deluxe
Kingston PC3200 512mb
WD 80GB IDE HDD
Radeon 9800pro 128mb 256-bit
 
all I can think of is remount heatshink and check you're ram with memtest
 
Bugalaman said:
all I can think of is remount heatshink and check you're ram with memtest

Yes....

Also be sure your motherboard is not grounding out to your case. Make sure your power supply is supplying enough power to your computer. If you've done an overclock... set it back to factory defaults to see if that helps out at all.
 
how would I check for the grounding? PSU is 400w Fortron, everything is connected correctly, I believe, the connector to the vid card is a little hard to push in but it should be in all the way. I just got this error and the screen got all fucked up again. I have a screenshot but don't know how to post it correctly. I could read the error message it gave before I rebooted and it said something about the video card driver stopped working for some reason. The drivers I installed were from guru3d the 4.12 WHQL cats with control center - which sucks btw compared to Nvidia.

sent error report, got this:

http://oca.microsoft.com/en/response.aspx?SGD=0e5fcc91-2932-485b-bd51-2685e1dc6380&SID=11
 
I reinstalled omega drivers now, the latest and it froze at the same stop. I'm really upset here, help me out please.
 
the omega drivers were really messed up on my computer as well. I would get artifacts all over my screen and i would have to reboot. try getting the regular ati drivers.
 
yeah no, that didn't do it. I think it only happens when I play games. I'm going to pop it in my machine to see what happens. Could it be ram or something? I'm in trouble here, cause I need this pc ready by the 17th. UGH! HELP!
 
I had a similar prob like that i just switch ram slots.. it fixed it.. :p
 
yeah, but it's an Asus A8V Deluxe w/ Dual Channel so it has to be in the B1 slot to work. I've had the pc up and running while surfing the net and stuff and so far it's holding up, like I said, when I play games, shit hits the fan
 
Dallows said:
temps after reboot where 44C for cpu and about 30 for the MB, that's not bad right?

Your heatsink will cool down the CPU very fast even right after restart.

I would get a good program to monitor your temps of CPU, motherboard, and video to make sure you're not getting too hot on temps. That might be part of your problem.
 
like? You're gonna tell me that this system:

AMD64 3000+ Winchester
Asus A8V Deluxe
ATI 9800PRO 128mb (stock)
512mb PC3200
400w Fortron

with

1 optical drive and 1 hard drive with no sound card or nothing runs hotter than my

AMD64 3500+ Newcastle
Asus A8V Deluxe
1GB PC3200
6800GT (stock)
Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS

with 2 optical drives and 2 hard drives

That's what you're saying?
 
Dallows said:
like? You're gonna tell me that this system:

AMD64 3000+ Winchester
Asus A8V Deluxe
ATI 9800PRO 128mb (stock)
512mb PC3200
400w Fortron

with

1 optical drive and 1 hard drive with no sound card or nothing runs hotter than my

AMD64 3500+ Newcastle
Asus A8V Deluxe
1GB PC3200
6800GT (stock)
Sound Blaster Audigy2 ZS

with 2 optical drives and 2 hard drives

That's what you're saying?

You don't even know ambient temperatures.


Anyway, check your PSU rails.
 
VCore was on target, but VDIMM I don't remember seeing. I popped it in my rig (in sig) and after 10-20 minutes of playing Sid Meiers Pirates! the pc stopped and rebooted. Even with my 4 extra fans it still overheated? WTF? Oh and the heatsink/fan moves a little when I press on the bottom-right and top-left corners - problem?
 
did you try testing the RAM yet? downloading and burning memtest doesn't take long, and usually it doesn't take long to test either..
 
switched the ram with known working ram, still the same, put it in my system, same thing. Stock core and ram are 380 and 680 right? I remember seeing some speeds in the omega driver's control panel and it was core-391 mem 341. Could that be doing it? Overclocked and it can't handle it?
 
i tell alot of people this....its most likely not ur PSU, or an Overheat...

its a BSOD...thats right a Stop error...

goto Start>settings>control panel>system:advanced:startup and recovery>settings

then under System Failure DE SELECT Automatically Restart


that should at least let you see what is going on
 
where would I look to see what's going on? I installed the card in my system and just checked the event viewer, there were a lot of error messages after I installed the card, a few actually said "ati" in the description. So I'm think it's all from problems with the card.
 
Sounds like video card problems to me. If you have another card, I'd test it in the system.
 
you people aren't even reading the previous posts. I tried it all, driver cleaner, different drivers, different systems, different ram. I'm taking care of it though.
 
MOTHER OF GOD WTF IS WRONG WITH THIS COMPUTER!!!!! I hate ATI, really, seriously now. I do. I didn't before, but now I see why Nvidia is the best. I've never had ANY problems with Nvidia cards, never ever ever. This is my first ATI card and I'm about to throw it out the fucking door. Why the hell wouldn't this card work in a top of the line system with all the drivers up to date and working properly? Why god why? Is it that fucking hard? I got one used offline from a reputable person, and it didn't work, would freeze up the system and it would auto-reboot, tried everything, then I popped it in MY system (below in sig) and it did the same thing. So I went out and bought a brand new one from compusa and popped it in, same thing happened, so I reformatted and installed XP, after 10 minutes or so of no gaming, just installing drivers and some software it froze up again. I have a screenshot, someone please tell me how to post it. It might help you understand a lot. Specs again as follows:

AMD64 3000+ Winchester @ 1.8ghz
Asus A8V Deluxe
512mb PC3200 Kingston ram (stock)
Onboard Sound
ATI Radeon 9800pro 128mb 256-bit
Lite-On 52x CD-RW
Fortron 400w PSU
80GB Western Digital 7200rpm IDE HDD
1 Cold Cathode Blue light

What else do you want to know? Fresh install of windows xp with service pack 2 already on the cd. I installed as follows -

Forgot to disconnect the internet so ATI drivers went in first
Then I did the Asus VIA 4in1 drivers off the cd
then sound drivers, then ethernet drivers.

I'm about to run driver cleaner and try the drivers off the ATI cd. For the love of god, someone please tell me if I'm missing something. Is there any known issue with VIA and ATI? Anything? I'm at my wits end here, hours upon hours for fucking ATI bullshit. I need this pc done very soon too. All is appreciated. Thanks
 
my.php
 
Back
Top