New PC Problems

FighterAce124

Supreme [H]ardness
Friend is running a P4 3.4EE Prescott, currently it idles at 67c, with as5 applied. Earlier this week, a hard drive dropped onto the side of the board opposite the CPU, and he immediately noticed an FPS drop. Had him come over tonight, and ran some tests, his CPU is scoring horribly, 1min+ on SuperPi 1m, 1500~ on PCMark 05 CPU test, etc. It's still showing as a 3400MHz speed in CPUz, hes not overclocked at all (obviously with those idle temps..). Another thing that is strange, his L1 data is 16kbytes, and his L1 trace is listed as 12Kuops? Wtf is Kuops, and why does that seem incredibly wrong? L2 cache is shown as 1024kbytes. Any ideas? I cant think of what wrong, other than that either A)CPU overheating, throttling back and not showing in CPUz, or B) hard drive falling on the board opposite end of board from CPU somehow damaged CPU or some part of the chipset?

I'm not convinced its a hardware problem. thats a toughie though...

my immediate reaction would be "time for monthly reformat..."

but watch your processes list while he benches...

Reformatted it a week ago, I dont see how that could affect the speed of CPU in games and such? Atleast, not so drastically.. :confused:

lol. every small thing seems to look wrong when performance isn't good. Well, for one, I think you should probably move the heatsink around cause saying your using AS5 doesn't mean much. I use some Intel stuff that does just as well and I can get really good temps if I place the heatsink right, but I can also get temps of around 50C idle and 78C full load if I place the heatsink wrong.

Don't start blaming the motherboard. Takes his processor and find another LGA775 board and try it out, maybe yours if you've got one. I don't see how potentially damaging the board near the south bridge screws up your processor's performance. Maybe harddrive connectivity, but not CPU. I'm not convinced its a hardware issue either.

Also, try the hard drive out cause if you've seen FPS drop, something might have happened to your hard drive. Try it out on your computer or another computer and see if it does the same thing.

Back