new pc is now built, and i just realize my motherboard has a pcie x4 slot (not x16)

They'll take it back. You'll have to pay a 15% restocking fee, but I doubt you'd get more money back selling it privately.

Have you tried installing the card? Newegg is not perfect and they misprint every now and then. To me that slot looks like your average PCI-E x16 slot.

You can see from the backside shot of the board in Newegg's pictures that it's only wired for x4. That truly sucks. I didn't even know boards like that were made. On a second physical x16 slot, sure, but I've never seen a board with only x4 electrical on the primary (and only) physical x16 slot.

I may be mistaken but i believe it should work in that slot.

Either way if it dont work you can still return it.

WTF!

wow that's the 1st time I ever heard that pcie is at 4x...THAT SUCKS!
Just chat with newegg's cs and explain them about the lack of info in regards to the pcie info. They will prolly remove the 15% restocking fee....newegg prides inself in customer service to an extent. Good Luck!

I always check the mobo info from the company before buying.

WTF!

wow that's the 1st time I ever heard that pcie is at 4x...THAT SUCKS!
Just chat with newegg's cs and explain them about the lack of info in regards to the pcie info.

its fairly clear that's a 4x slot though...

Looks like a 16x lane (the orange one) only wired to be a 4x as stated by another poster above. Pictures can lie, specifications don't!

Looks like a 16x lane (the orange one) only wired to be a 4x as stated by another poster above. Pictures can lie, specifications don't!

If thats true than the card should work, it may be bandwidth limited but it should work.

Thats really strange, ive never seen that before on a board with only one slot!

You can see from the backside shot of the board in Newegg's pictures that it's only wired for x4. That truly sucks. I didn't even know boards like that were made. On a second physical x16 slot, sure, but I've never seen a board with only x4 electrical on the primary (and only) physical x16 slot.

Just curious, how do you tell?

Just curious, how do you tell?

not sure how to tell...

are you gaming with this PC? if so, why are you getting a G31 chipset?

You can tell by looking at the back of the board. An x16 slot that's electrically wired at x16 would have pins the whole length of the slot. This Gigabyte only has enough for x4.

The two shots are mirrored. Left side would be x1-PCI2-PCI1-x16, right side would be x16- PCI1-PCI2- x1

Back