• Some users have recently had their accounts hijacked. It seems that the now defunct EVGA forums might have compromised your password there and seems many are using the same PW here. We would suggest you UPDATE YOUR PASSWORD and TURN ON 2FA for your account here to further secure it. None of the compromised accounts had 2FA turned on.
    Once you have enabled 2FA, your account will be updated soon to show a badge, letting other members know that you use 2FA to protect your account. This should be beneficial for everyone that uses FSFT.

New PC Built (somewhat)

Hulk

Supreme [H]ardness
Joined
Nov 4, 2005
Messages
6,279
I bought a Dell Inspiron 518 for $350, it came with a Q8300, 6GB RAM, 640GB, DVDRW a while ago. I don't think I can upgrade the processor and I don't think it can be overclocked so I want to buy a new processor and motherboard. My questions are:

1) Is it possible to put a new motherboard + processor into the existing case or do I need to buy a new case?

2) If I install the new motherboard and processor can I reuse my HDD or do I need to buy Windows and reinstall it?

3) From what I've read, the i5 750 is the best bang for the buck. What would be a good motherboard to go with this chip? I do plan on overclocking it. Also, I am not interested in video coding at all so I don't care about the hyperthreading.
 
1) A case is just a metal box with holes pre-cut into it. You can reuse it, but I'd be cautious about airflow. If you're planning on making a significant leap in processors, I'd double check on the PSU capacity.
2) It can be done, but it's a real pain in the ass and it's never really a clean process. You probably already have a copy of Windows and a license cert glued to the case. However, the OEM license is tied to the motherboard/processor, of all things, so upgrading those components creates a new system requiring a new license, according to MS.
3) Beats me. Haven't kept up with o/c overhead, I'm sure you'll get opinions.
 
i would say wait ontill next year when the new sockets are onless you really need too upgrade

1. yes

2. yes you may need to buy windows, dell comes with oem copy and sometimes the don't like moving over too new machine.

3. yes

please answer build help stick at the top.
 
Back
Top