New PC built... now what?

Bland_JamesBland

Weaksauce
Ok, so I just finished building a new PC.

AMD A10-7850k
Gigbyte mITX WiFi Mobo
Gskill 2133mghz ram
Sandisk 128GB ssd

Ive installed Windows 7 64bit, installed all the up to date drivers, software updates, got the AC WiFi working from the kitchen (excellent range!), and made sure my ram was running at proper speeds and ran Prime95 for about 2hrs watching the CPU temp never break 50c.

What now? Am I good to go or is there anything else I should do to ensure longevity with my new PC? THANKS!

What's your PSU? A shitty PSU can make for a very bad day.

If you've got 8GB+ of memory, and aren't doing anything memory intensive with your PC, you can turn down the virtual memory to 2GB. I know Windows likes to automatically set it at double your ram amount, and you don't need it or the extra (minor) wear and tear on the SSD.

Is the PC in the kitchen, or just the wifi router? If it's the PC, just make sure you've got it in a place that will keep it away from accidental liquid spills, as well as stuff like flour dust (or cheeto dust if that is more applicable to your situation :D).

What's your PSU? A shitty PSU can make for a very bad day.

If you've got 8GB+ of memory, and aren't doing anything memory intensive with your PC, you can turn down the virtual memory to 2GB. I know Windows likes to automatically set it at double your ram amount, and you don't need it or the extra (minor) wear and tear on the SSD.

Is the PC in the kitchen, or just the wifi router? If it's the PC, just make sure you've got it in a place that will keep it away from accidental liquid spills, as well as stuff like flour dust (or cheeto dust if that is more applicable to your situation :D).

PSU is a Corsair CX430...

We have an eat in kitchen nook, so the desk is plenty far from liquids and what not... no Cheeto dust issues here.:D

Running a few more tests and doing some reading, I guess these apu's are pretty wonky when it comes to monitoring them. I have CoreTemp showing the CPU temp going from 20c-65c with Prime95 running strong, and Speccy showing the CPU going from 51c-112c and Gigabytes EastTune6 HWMonitor all over the board bouncing between what Core and Speccy are showing. Ambient temp in this room is about 20c. I didn't notice any throttling, and CPU load stayed at 100% the whole time for about and hour.

That PSU is fine. Sounds like you're set then :).

As long as there is a good airflow path to the cooler (stock, I assume), I wouldn't worry about the temps. AMD Overdrive can show you pretty accurately how close you are to the max temp value if you're still worried but it won't give you the actual temperature for whatever reason.

If it's a new pc build for me - one of the first things I do is load up maintenance, utility and an anti-malware app, usually CC Cleaner, VLC and Malwarebytes. I also make sure all the drivers are up to date - since the stuff that comes on disk in the box is usually pretty outdated anyway.

The intel driver scan app doesn't seem to work anymore so I usually have to dig around manually nowadays for raid and chipset drivers - though not an issue for you since you are running AMD gear.

That PSU is fine. Sounds like you're set then :).

As long as there is a good airflow path to the cooler (stock, I assume), I wouldn't worry about the temps. AMD Overdrive can show you pretty accurately how close you are to the max temp value if you're still worried but it won't give you the actual temperature for whatever reason.

Cooler is a Cooler Master Hyper TX3 as that was the tallest and cheapest aftermarket cooler I could get at time of purchase. I'll look into the OverDrive.

Thanks!

If it's a new pc build for me - one of the first things I do is load up maintenance, utility and an anti-malware app, usually CC Cleaner, VLC and Malwarebytes. I also make sure all the drivers are up to date - since the stuff that comes on disk in the box is usually pretty outdated anyway.

The intel driver scan app doesn't seem to work anymore so I usually have to dig around manually nowadays for raid and chipset drivers - though not an issue for you since you are running AMD gear.

Yup, went online and downloaded all of the up to date drivers. I downloaded the free Microsoft anti-virus. Downloading Malwarebytes now.

So doing some more testing, I downloaded AMD Overdrive to check out the temps. I understand the Thermal Margin jargon. Here is the cpu under rest and load. These should be acceptable no? Using Prime95 - or should I use something else to stress?

AcJEFVN.jpg

TvlVI4B.jpg

Back