New PC Build

1) What will you be doing with this PC? Gaming? Photoshop? Web browsing? etc
Gaming
2) What's your budget? Are tax and shipping included?
$3,000, yes tax and shipping are included
3) Which country do you live in? If the U.S, please tell us the state and city if possible.
US, Naples, FL
4) What exact parts do you need for that budget? CPU, RAM, case, etc. The word "Everything" is not a valid answer. Please list out all the parts you'll need.
Case, CPU, PSU, Motherboard, HDD and SSD for boot, Video card, Monitor, Memory, Possibly some case fans, DVD burner, Aftermarket CPU cooler, and input devices such as a mouse and keyboard
5) If reusing any parts, what parts will you be reusing? Please be especially specific about the power supply. List make and model.
Not reusing any parts
6) Will you be overclocking?
Mostly likely
7) What is the max resolution of your monitor? What size is it?
1920x1200 23"
8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within a year
9) What features do you need in a motherboard? RAID? Firewire? Crossfire or SLI support? USB 3.0? SATA 6Gb/s? eSATA? Onboard video (as a backup or main GPU)? UEFI? etc.
sli support, onboard usb 3.0, sata 6Gb/s
10) Do you already have a legit and reusable/transferable OS key/license? If yes, what OS? Is it 32bit or 64bit?
No
In addition I would like to add that I'm a first time builder with a decent amount of knowledge on this stuff, and I'm only 14

Build:
-Asus Maximus v Formula lga 1155 socket z77 chipset eatx form factor mobo
-Intel 3770k Processor
-Cooler Master HAF XM case
-Asus gtx 680 Direct cu ii Vid Card
-Corsair professional series 80+ gold certified 1200w psu
-Intel 330 series maple crest 120gb sata III SSD
-Western Digital VelociRaptor 1TB 10000 rpm HDD
-Razer Black widow ultimate usb keyboard
-Gigabyte gm-m6980 gaming mouse
-MSI dvd rom drive DH-18DP
-Windows 7 professional
-Cooler master hyper 212 plus cpu heatsink fan
-Asus VS238H-P monitor
-Corsair Vengeance 1866 16gb (2x8GB) 240 pin ddr3 sdram
if i left anything out, let me know

8) When do you plan on building/buying the PC?
Within a year

What? Post a thread when you're ready to buy within 2-3 weeks.
Otherwise it's not worth the time to even recommend anything.

... but I don't like that ssd for that large a budget. samsung 830 either 256gb or 512gb.
1TB velociraptor, is this a troll thread?

the psu is WAY freaking overkill and a huge waste of money.
CM hyper 212 heatsink is good for a budget. get a better heatsink since you have the cash.

Your LCD is too small, buy a Korean LCD for $300 with a $3k budget.

With a $3k budget and you only want one monitor? 0.o

As J Macker said, come back when you're ready to buy within' that month. Otherwise what we recommend now wont be what we recommend next month, much less a year from now.

Either way, lots of issues with that build if you were buying this month anyway.

With your motherboard requirements, that motherboard is complete overkill for your needs. It provides nothing that a board half that price could provide.

That processor provides no benefits for a gaming rig over a 3570k, so if the only thing you are mostly doing with this rig will be gaming you do not need an i7 processor.

For a single 1080P monitor, 680 is overkill. With a budget that high, you could go with three 23" monitors and SLI 670s for a much better gaming experience than a single 680 with a single 23" monitor.

Even for SLI 680s, that PSU is more than you'll need.

While not a bad SSD, you could get a better SSD with more space such as the Samsung 830 128GB SSD. Though with your budget, you should look no less than 256GB on an SSD.

1TB Velicoraptor... at the price you are paying for this, you can have more than three times the space.

The RAM you have does not provide any benefit with Sandy Bridge or Ivy Bridge CPUs, especially for a gaming rig. When you put that RAM in, it's going to run at either 1333 or 1600 and any attempts to overclock it higher than that will not only yield very little results but will require a TON of tweaking to get it done. Therefore you only need RAM rated at DDR3 1333 or DDR3 1600 that's 1.5v or less to prevent possible damage to the CPU.

what if i just got a 4gb 680 with three monitors? and do you really think I'll need more than 1120gb of storage?

and I know the mobo is overkill, but i like all of the options it provides, and I probably wont be upgrading my mobo for a while, so why not get a good one from the start?

Because it's overkill and you'll never use all the "options" if you don't need them now.

But it's your money and you can spend it however you like. I choose not to spend $300 on a motherboard. The $150-$180 boards are often more than enough.

The whole point of a velociraptor is speed. The whole point of an SSD is speed. but, ssds are WAY faster. So if you don't need speed, then what else is there? capacity & backup. If you don't have movies stored on your drives and a small music collection, you'll never need more than 1-2TB. A samsung 2TB F4 is a great balance of performance & capacity for a storage drive. Sorry, but it just seems like you're trying to troll us saying how much money you can spend instead of actually thinking about your parts. I also agree on everything Skillz said about cpu, memory and LCD.

A GTX 680 is stupid overkill for a single 1920x1080. A GTX 670 is more than enough. Besides, you really should consider ditching that crappy TN 23" LCD LED whatever and getting an 27" or 30" IPS LCD. You obviously have the money, so why not use it for something that will actually improve your gaming experience rather than wasting it on an overkill motherboard, cpu, video card, memory & velociraptor.

So do you already own three of those 23" LCDs? If so, then a GTX 680 is fine.

You will never notice the difference between an i5 3570k and i7 3770k besides the name & bragging rights. For which case, I wouldn't brag about a 3770k, because it just screams "look at how much money I wasted".

If you like the "audio" on the motherboard, buy a cheaper motherboard and get a soundcard or receiver. You'll get more versatility to boot.

Last edited:
okay so what do you guys think about a 256gb ssd, with a 2tb wd caviar black? also do you think a 670 will be good a few years from now? because I most likely wont be upgrading very heavily. and would a p8z77 board be sufficient?

and like I said before, this is my first build and I obviously don't know everything there is to know about it

how about the asus maximus v gene? its not as expensive, and I think it has the same audio as the other board, and it has usb 3.0 front headers for my case. its around 200 dollars

I think the WD 2TB black is extremely overpriced at $200
The samsung 2TB is $120.

The samsung 256GB ssd is an excellent choice. Be aware though that it often goes on sale for less than $200.

The most appealing Asus z77 board I'm seeing at this moment is this one for $155 free shipping:
P8Z77-V LE PLUS

The Asus z77 gene for $200 seems reasonable as well. But I don't understand why you want to use integrated audio so much. Please explain.

When are you buying these parts? Your first post said "within a year".

If that is the case you need to come back when you're ready to buy within 2-3 weeks. End of story.

well I'm still in the process of saving the money, but I'm going to do it asap, but I don't think it will be this year. and I'm only going to get a 1tb hdd.

Okay, just come back when you've got the money and are ready to buy. the parts list will definitely be different next year.

Relax, go about life and keep saving your money.
There's no point in dreaming about which parts now if you can't buy until next year.

At this point nothing is recommended. Save your money then start a new thread.

Back