New pc, baught Upgrade instead of full.. Am I Screwed?

reminiser16

Limp Gawd
recieved upgrade not full.. Pc has no OS installed and I dont got any OS to install from. Can ANYONE help me? Noone I know has any either.. Please help ASAP if its possible.
I got Windows Xp upgrade install cd.

We need a little bit more info than that bud.

Who did you get the PC from? OEM, friend, online, aliens?
Did you buy an OS?

Phoenix86 said:
We need a little bit more info than that bud.

Who did you get the PC from? OEM, friend, online, aliens?
Did you buy an OS?
Custom built, baught off net(cd) gave me upgrade.. Its an asus Mobo.
2gb
asus a8n32-sli
7800gt
250gb WD

Ahh, it doesn't need an OS installed to do the "upgrade". It just needs qualifying media, you bought the upgrade version, what are you upgrading from?

It should prompt for the 98 or 2K disk during the XP install, provide the media and go from there. If you don't own one of them, it's probably cheap enough to buy the qualifying OS.

Okay, first things first: it's "bought," not baught.

You custom built a PC, ordered a copy of Windows XP and bought an upgrade version instead of the full version. Is this correct so far?

If it is correct, then you need a copy of Windows to upgrade from. WinXP Home (if professional), WinME, I think maybe even Win98 or Win95 will work, but I'm not sure. At any rate, if you have no Windows OS to upgrade from, yes, you are screwed.

Search on pricegrabber for Windows XP, make sure it's a full version, and get an OEM disk. Should be fairly cheap. Make sure it comes with a valid license key.

Phoenix86 said:
Ahh, it doesn't need an OS installed to do the "upgrade". It just needs qualifying media, you bought the upgrade version, what are you upgrading from?

It should prompt for the 98 or 2K disk during the XP install, provide the media and go from there.
dont have none.. NONE. has no Os installed. Its brand new

Do you own a pervious copy of windows? Win98? 2000? ME? Any will work, just put the cd in when xp asks for it.

I'm assuming whoever you bought the comp from sold you a upgrade to save money :rolleyes:

EDIT: It doesn't need an os installed. Put the XP disc in and boot off of it. XP will ask you to insert a pervious windows cd to verify. Put one in, if you have one. If not.. well i can't help any more.

I'd look to e-bay for 98 or look at returning the software (not likely).

There's a reason the upgrade was cheaper than the retail version. And now you know why.

If you were looking for a cheap copy you should have bought an OEM copy. Look before you leap. ;)

Phoenix86's advice is best. Buy a Win 98 CD off ebay.

No,... don't buy anything with a 98 at the end of it. You never wanted that disc in the first place, so buying 2000 to install XP is stupid. Windows 98 SE -> XP is not even possible anyways.

Just buy a XP HE SP2 full version bundle and be happy. You don't wan't Windows to install crap over more crap even if it is just an old os version.

Trust me.

When installing an upgrade, the verifying OS disc is just scanned to validate prior ownership, nothing is copied to disc, nothing is installed, just verified.

See if you can borrow an old Win98 disc from a friend. Insert it when prompted to and smooth sailing from there. It doesn't copy anything to do with 98 to your hard drive, it just verifys that you have an older full version of Windows to "upgrade" from.

Isaacav2 said:
Trust me.
We would if you slowed down and read through the thread before posting. ;) When you use an XP Upgrade disc, you only have to insert the previous OSes media. It doesn't have to be installed. This was mentioned above your post, at least once. No one is telling him to install Win98. Phoenix86's advice is excellent. All he'd have to do is boot from the XP Upgrade disc, and when prompted insert the 98 disc. After a few seconds, it will eject and ask for the XP Upgrade disc again. Problem solved.

Ok first of all.. I stated I didn't buy Pc off anyone.. I bought parts off Newegg and built it.
2nd- I have No friends/Family Noone with a previous window
3rd- I do not own a previous windows just this upgrade
4th- I didn't buy the upgrade to save money, I bought off this forum and user told me was FULL retail version not upgrade.
Thats it, I think I am screwed.

I am sorry to thread crap.. Ths thread gave me a headache.. I am proud for those who actual understood..... WOW...... :p You all deserve cookies. Good night. I need to find the excedrin

reminiser16 said:
2nd- I have No friends/Family Noone with a previous window

wow how is it in this day and age that you dont have a friend/ co-worker- neighbor - drinking buddy- or complete stranger that dosent own a computer.. all you need to do is borrow their disk for maybe 30 seconds.. hell they could just burn you a copy... its not like your asking for their COA key.. just the disk

All Your Posts
1.) First you didn't know what financing was. (of which it took 10 people saying the same thing to get the point across)
2.) You needed help with your build.
3.) Your computer you built wouldn't post.
4.) You bought an XP upgrade instead of Regular.

Now here's the way that works. Tell whomever you bought it from that they sold you an Upgrade. Check all your PM's in regards to it because they might have said it was an upgrade. Then get your money back from them. If I sold anything under falsee pretences I would most likely give back money. Unless they broke it and sent it back or something. Worst case head over to the Tips/Tricks/Trolls board in For Sale/Trade. Now like it has been said just buy a copy of Windows 98 and you'll be fine. Good Luck.

P.S. Hoping and Praying this doesn't get further dragged on.

Hmm, this thread bothers me...
Link.

His two posts were
"Looking to buy a full windows Xp with a legit unused Cd key.
I pay paypal."

and
"home, Must work with any pc. I am buildin my pc monday."

Someone did not sell him what he wanted...

The reason I mentioned 98 over 2K is because I'd expect you can get it cheaper. If you can get 2K at the same price, go for it. This is assuming you don't go the whole "you didn't sell me what we agreed to" route with the seller (whoever that is).

ne1wantaride said:
All Your Posts
1.) First you didn't know what financing was. (of which it took 10 people saying the same thing to get the point across)
2.) You needed help with your build.
3.) Your computer you built wouldn't post.
4.) You bought an XP upgrade instead of Regular.

Now here's the way that works. Tell whomever you bought it from that they sold you an Upgrade. Check all your PM's in regards to it because they might have said it was an upgrade. Then get your money back from them. If I sold anything under falsee pretences I would most likely give back money. Unless they broke it and sent it back or something. Worst case head over to the Tips/Tricks/Trolls board in For Sale/Trade. Now like it has been said just buy a copy of Windows 98 and you'll be fine. Good Luck.

P.S. Hoping and Praying this doesn't get further dragged on.
What was the point of saying all my threads?
who cares If I needed help with my build. Im 100% sure when you knew nothing about computers you seeked help. I just moved to Florida so don't know many people. I am 16 years old and expect me to know what I am doing? You are saying things without even knowing what really happened. I baught a full disk I TOLD him if its full, legit, etc etc he said yes. Upon installing I found out was upgrade and he said he was sorry.

reminiser16 said:
I bought a full disk I TOLD him if its full, legit, etc etc he said yes. Upon installing I found out was upgrade and he said he was sorry.
Fixed...and if you paid him for a full disc, and he told you he was selling you a full disc, then you go back to him for either a refund, or a full disc. If you believe you were ripped off, do something about it...or at least try to. What was the username of the person you bought it from?

Back